Welcome to my recipe for the irresistible and delectable Pumpkin Coconut Cream Pie. If you’re a fan of sweetened flaked coconut, creamy pumpkin, and indulgent whipped cream, then you are in for a real treat.
This pie is perfect for fall or winter holidays, especially Thanksgiving, or whenever you’re craving its mouth-watering goodness. It’s a unique twist on traditional pumpkin pie that’s sure to impress your guests and leave them begging for more.
Plus, this recipe caters to people with different dietary requirements. Whether you’re vegan, dairy-free, or paleo, this recipe can easily be adapted to suit your needs.
With its creamy coconut custard filling and sweet graham cracker crust, this pie is an absolute showstopper dessert that’s easy to make and perfect for any occasion. So why not surprise your family and friends with this delightful dessert? Let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
For all my fellow pumpkin pie enthusiasts out there, let me tell you that this recipe is a game changer! I guarantee that you will fall head over heels in love with this pumpkin coconut cream pie.
Firstly, the combination of pumpkin and coconut creates a unique and delightful flavor that will leave your taste buds in awe. The sweetness of the coconut perfectly complements the spiciness of the pumpkin pie spice, creating a well-balanced flavor profile that you won’t be able to resist.
Secondly, this recipe is vegetarian-friendly as it uses canned pumpkin puree and does not contain gelatin or any other animal products. For our vegan friends out there, just substitute dairy milk with non-dairy milk to make it vegan-friendly.
Lastly, the creamy texture and silky smooth consistency of the filling will take you to dessert heaven. Topped with whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes, this pie is the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving dinner or any get-together.
In conclusion, if you love traditional pumpkin pie but want a refreshingly new way to enjoy it, then this pumpkin coconut cream pie is the answer to your dessert dreams. Trust me; your guests will thank you for making such a delicious treat.
Here is a list of all the ingredients you will need to make this delicious pumpkin coconut cream pie:
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 1 can (15 ounces) coconut milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 large eggs
For the coconut whipped cream topping:
- 1 can (15 ounces) creamy coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make sure to measure all your ingredients accurately to achieve a perfect balance of flavors. This recipe calls for canned pumpkin puree, but you can also use fresh pumpkin puree if you prefer.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have gathered all the ingredients, it’s time to start making this delicious pumpkin coconut cream pie! Follow these easy steps to make your very own:
Make the Crust
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Step 2: Combine Ingredients
In a large bowl, combine 1 and 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, 1/2 cup of sweetened flaked coconut, 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Mix well until evenly combined.
Step 3: Add Butter
Melt 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a separate bowl. Then, pour it into the large bowl with the graham cracker mixture. Stir until the mixture is moistened and crumbly.
Step 4: Press into Pie Dish
Transfer the mixture to a 9-inch pie dish. Using your fingers or the back of a spoon, press the crust mixture firmly onto the bottom and sides of the pie dish.
Step 5: Bake Crust
Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely before adding filling.
Make the Filling
Step 6: Combine Ingredients and Mix
In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 large eggs, 15 oz of pumpkin puree, 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Step 7: Add Coconut Cream Mixture and Mix Again
Now add in 1 can (15 oz) coconut cream, and whisk again.
Step 8: Pour Filling into Crust
Pour filling mixture into prepared crust.
Step 9: Bake Pie
Bake at 425°F for about 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; continue baking for an additional 45-50 minutes until center is almost set but still jiggles slightly when shaken.
Step 10: Cool Pie
Once baked, remove from oven and let cool completely before slicing.
Top With Whipped Cream
While this pie is delicious on its own, it tastes even better topped with whipped cream! In a chilled bowl, beat 1 cup of heavy whipping cream on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add in 1/4 powdered sugar and continue beating for another few seconds until well mixed. Spread whipped cream over cooled pie and sprinkle some toasted coconut flakes.
There we have it, your perfect pumpkin coconut cream pie!
Substitutions and Variations
As much as I love following a recipe to a T, I also enjoy experimenting with different substitutions and variations that fit my taste preferences or dietary restrictions. Here are some ideas for switching up this pumpkin coconut cream pie recipe:
– Dairy-free: Swap out the heavy whipping cream for canned coconut milk to make it dairy-free. You can also use a non-dairy butter substitute or coconut oil instead of regular butter.
– Vegan: Make this recipe vegan by using vegan butter or coconut oil, and substitute the heavy whipping cream with full-fat coconut milk. Use flax or chia “eggs” instead of regular eggs in the filling.
– Gluten-free: Use gluten-free graham cracker crumbs to make the crust. Alternatively, you can use almond flour or crushed gluten-free cookies in place of the graham crackers.
– Paleo: For a paleo-friendly option, replace the graham cracker crumbs with almond flour or nuts like pecan. Use maple syrup or honey instead of granulated sugar and add a touch of apple juice concentrate to boost the sweetness.
– Thai-inspired: Add 1 tablespoon of Thai Kitchen red curry paste to the crust mixture for a spice kick. Replace pumpkin pie spice with ground cinnamon and ginger, and top it off with toasted shredded coconut.
– Coconut Custard Pie: Make this pie into a rich and creamy coconut custard pie by omitting the pumpkin puree and adding an extra 1/2 cup of sweetened flaked coconut to the filling mixture.
– Easy Pumpkin Spice Latte Pie: Use easy pumpkin pie filling mix to make your life simpler; just add milk and eggs! Set yourself apart by mixing in 1/2 cup of cold brew coffee into your pumpkin spice latte pie filling!
There are endless possibilities when it comes to customizing pumpkin coconut cream pie recipe! Get creative and have fun making it your own!
Serving and Pairing
Now that your pumpkin coconut cream pie is out of the oven and ready to indulge, there are several ways to serve and pair it for a sensational finale of your Thanksgiving feast. One of my favorite pairings is a homemade whipped cream topping with shredded coconut that I sprinkle on top of the pie for an added sweetness and texture.
You can opt for different variations of whipped cream toppings, such as using a store-bought or dairy-free pumpkin whipped cream. If you prefer your pie with fruits, consider serving it with caramelized apples or pears, glazed cranberries, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Not limited to your dessert table, pumpkin coconut cream pie can also be enjoyed with coffee or tea for a warm and comforting after-meal treat. For a more indulgent version, try pairing it with Irish coffee or spiked eggnog.
Last but not least, don’t forget to snap some photos of your delicious creation and share them with others. The pumpkin coconut cream pie is a delightful addition to any holiday event and will definitely leave your guests wanting more.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As a professional chef, I know that making ahead of time can save you a lot of stress in the kitchen. With this pumpkin coconut cream pie recipe, you can make it up to two days in advance and still impress your guests. To do so, let the pie cool to room temperature and cover it with plastic wrap before refrigerating. When you are ready to serve it, simply remove the plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes before slicing it.
If you have leftovers or want to keep some for later, store the pie in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. This will keep the pie fresh and moist, ready to satisfy your cravings.
To reheat your pumpkin coconut cream pie, simply preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and place the pie directly in the oven. Heat it for about 10-15 minutes until it is warmed through but be careful not to overheat it as this may cause the crust to burn. Alternatively, you could warm individual slices in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds.
This pumpkin coconut cream pie is best served at room temperature or slightly warmed, accompanied by a dollop of whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes on top. It’s perfect for any occasion; from Thanksgiving dinner parties to lazy Sundays with family or friends.
Now that you know how easy it is to make ahead of time, store and reheat this delicious pumpkin coconut cream pie recipe, you can have dessert without any fuss. Enjoy!
Tips for Perfect Results
When making a pumpkin coconut cream pie, you want to ensure that the results are perfect. Follow these tips for a creamy and delicious pie.
First, make sure to use room temperature ingredients. If your eggs, butter, or cream cheese are too cold, they won’t mix together properly and you’ll end up with lumps in your filling. Allow them to sit outside of the fridge for at least half an hour before using.
When baking the crust, don’t overdo it. You want it to be crisp but not burnt. If you’re worried about it burning, use a pre-made crust or cover the edges with foil before baking.
It’s important to let your pie cool completely before slicing into it. The filling needs time to set up properly and if you cut into it too soon, you’ll end up with a runny mess.
If you want to add some extra flair to your pie, try sprinkling toasted coconut on top or adding some whipped cream. This will give it an extra texture and flavor boost.
Lastly, feel free to experiment with different spices and herbs. While pumpkin pie spice is traditional, you can try adding cinnamon or nutmeg for an added warmth to your pie.
Follow these tips and your pumpkin coconut cream pie will surely be a hit at any gathering!
In conclusion, this Pumpkin Coconut Cream Pie recipe is the perfect addition to your holiday menu. The combination of pumpkin and coconut creates a creamy, delicious dessert that is sure to please everyone at the table. With easy-to-follow instructions and adaptable ingredients such as dairy-free options, it’s simple to make tweaks to meet any dietary needs.
Whether you’re a pumpkin pie lover or a coconut cream fanatic, this recipe brings the best of both worlds in one ultimate dessert. Plus, with its beautiful presentation of toasted coconut on top, it makes for an excellent centerpiece on your holiday table.
So why not take it up a notch and try this pumpkin coconut cream pie recipe? With its decadent flavors and versatile modifications, it is destined to become your new favorite dessert. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup pecan shortbread cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Toasted coconut:.
- Spread coconut in 9×13 pan. Bake stirring occasionally until golden brown about 5-8 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- mix all crumbs and sugar together. Stir in melted butter and press mix into pie plate. Bake 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- Increase heat to 425.
- In large bowl beat eggs until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients until well combined. Pour into cooled cookie crust. Cover crust edges with tinfoil strips. Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350.
- Bake until knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 35-45 minutes.
- Remove tinfoil for last 15 minutes of baking.
- Cool completely.
- Whipped cream:.
- Whip cream with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Add sugar and continue whipping to desired stiffness.
- Fold in 3/4 cup of toasted coconut.
- Spread on top of cooled pie. Top with remaining toasted coconut.
Your Own Notes
You’ll Love These Pie Recipes
Chloe is passionate about creating unique dishes that draw on the flavors of her favorite cultures. She loves experimenting with new ingredients and pushing the boundaries of traditional recipes. Her enthusiasm for cooking is infectious, and she is always eager to share her creations with friends and family.