Best Pandan Chiffon Cupcakes: Soft, Fluffy & Aromatic (Recipe Inside!)
Hey there, cupcake lovers! If you’re tired of the same old vanilla or chocolate cupcakes, it’s time to try something new and exciting. Introducing the Pandan Cupcakes – the perfect combination of Asian cooking and modern baking!
Pandan leaves, known for their vibrant green color and unique flavor, are the star of this recipe. The aroma of the pandan leaves, mixed with coconut milk, makes for a cake that is both fragrant and fluffy. These cupcakes are perfect for any occasion, whether you’re having a party, a family gathering, or just want to enjoy a sweet treat for yourself.
The recipe is easy to follow and requires only a few simple ingredients that can be found in most grocery stores or Asian markets. Not only do these cupcakes taste delicious, but they also have a beautiful green color that will make them stand out on any dessert table.
So, get ready to impress your friends and family with this unique and flavorful treat. In this post, we’ll provide step-by-step instructions on how to make Pandan Cupcakes and some tips and tricks to make the process easier. Plus, we’ll share some ideas for serving and pairing these delicious cupcakes with your favorite beverages.
Let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love Pandan Chiffon Cupcakes Recipe?
Are you ready to try something new and exciting in your baking? Look no further than these Pandan Chiffon Cupcakes! Here are just a few reasons why you’ll love this recipe.
First and foremost, the unique flavor of pandan leaves is what sets these cupcakes apart. Pandan leaves, also known as screwpine leaves, have a sweet and fragrant aroma that pairs perfectly with the coconut milk in the recipe. The result is a delicate and aromatic flavor that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy.
In addition to their delicious taste, these cupcakes also have a light and fluffy texture that’s just heavenly. The secret to achieving this texture lies in the chiffon cupcake technique, which involves separating the egg whites and yolks and whipping the whites into a stiff peak before folding them back into the batter. This technique creates an airy texture that’s hard to resist.
But wait, there’s more! These cupcakes are also visually stunning, thanks to their vibrant green color. You can thank the pandan flavor for this unique hue, which will definitely add a pop of color to any dessert table.
And don’t worry if you’re new to chiffon cupcakes, as this recipe is easy to follow and requires only a few simple ingredients. All you need are pandan leaves, coconut milk, eggs, flour, and a few other ingredients you likely already have in your pantry.
In conclusion, if you’re looking to add some excitement and unique flavor to your baking, then these Pandan Cupcakes are the way to go. With their delicate and fragrant taste, airy texture, and vibrant green color, they are sure to impress anyone who tries them. So, what are you waiting for? Get baking and treat yourself to a heavenly and unforgettable dessert experience!
If you’re ready to start baking some delicious Pandan Chiffon Cupcakes, the first step is to gather all the necessary ingredients. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1 tsp pandan extract or 10-15 frozen pandan leaves (blended with 3 tbsp of water)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
Note that some of the ingredients are unique to Asian cooking, such as pandan leaves and coconut milk. You can find these at your local Asian market or specialty store.
When measuring out your ingredients, it’s important to be precise. Use measuring cups and spoons, and level off the ingredients to avoid any inconsistencies in the recipe.
Once you have all the ingredients ready, it’s time to start baking!
The Recipe How-To
Now that you have all your ingredients ready, it’s time to get started on the actual baking process. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make these delicious Pandan Cupcakes.
Preparing the Batter
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, coconut milk, corn oil, pandan extract, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture, stirring until fully combined.
Preparing the Cake Pan
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Celsius.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or lightly grease a non-stick cake pan.
- Set aside.
Folding the Batter
- In a clean mixing bowl, whip the egg whites on medium speed until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue to whip until the egg whites reach stiff peak stage.
- Slowly add the caster sugar to the egg whites, a little at a time, and continue to whip until the sugar is fully incorporated and the egg whites are glossy.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg white mixture into the cake batter until fully combined.
Baking the Cupcakes
- Use an ice cream scoop or spoon to divide the batter evenly between the muffin tins or non-stick cake pan.
- Bake the cupcakes on the middle rack of the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes for muffin moulds or 20-25 minutes for a 6 inch cake pan.
- Check if the cupcakes are done by inserting a toothpick into the center of one cupcake. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are ready. If not, bake for a few more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before adding any icing.
- If you’re in a hurry, you can speed up the cooling process by placing the cupcakes in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.
Making the Icing
- Cream butter with an electric mixer on medium-low speed until it’s soft and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and whip until well combined.
- Add a few teaspoons of pandan extract or pandan paste (depending on your desired intensity of pandan flavour) and mix until fully incorporated.
- If the icing is too thick, add a teaspoon of cream to thin it out.
Assembling and Decorating
- Use an offset spatula to spread the icing on top of each cooled cupcake.
- You can decorate the cupcakes however you like, using sprinkles, sliced fruit, or any other toppings you desire.
And there you have it, your delicious and unique Pandan Cupcakes are now ready to serve!
Substitutions and Variations
If you’re looking to add your own twist to these delicious Pandan Cupcakes, there are several variations you can try. Here are a few ideas:
Pandan Chocolate Cupcakes
For those who love the combination of chocolate and pandan, try adding cocoa powder to the recipe. Simply reduce the amount of cake flour and replace it with cocoa powder. You can also sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of the cupcakes before baking for an extra chocolatey taste.
Pandan Coconut Cupcakes
To make the coconut flavor more prominent, try adding shredded coconut to the batter. You can also substitute some of the corn oil with coconut oil for an extra coconut kick.
Pandan Marble Cupcakes
If you’re looking for a fun and unique twist, try making pandan marble cupcakes. Simply divide the batter in half and add cocoa powder to one half. Then alternate spoonfuls of each batter into the muffin tins before baking.
Pandan Cream Cheese Frosting
For a tangy twist on the traditional icing, try adding cream cheese to the recipe. Simply whip cream cheese with butter and powdered sugar until it’s light and fluffy. Then add pandan extract or paste and mix until well combined.
Pandan Cake Pops
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can turn these cupcakes into cake pops. Simply crumble the cupcakes and mix with cream cheese frosting until it forms a sticky dough. Then roll into balls, insert a lollipop stick, and dip in melted chocolate.
No matter which variation you choose, these Pandan Cupcakes are sure to impress. The pandan flavor adds a unique twist to traditional butter cakes, and the delicate green color will make your cupcakes stand out. So go ahead, get creative, and have fun with these delicious cupcakes!
Serving and Pairing Suggestions
When it comes to serving and pairing Pandan Cupcakes, there are several options to consider. Here are a few ideas to help you enjoy these delicious cupcakes to the fullest.
Pairing with Beverages
Pandan Cupcakes pair well with a variety of drinks, from tea to coffee to milkshakes. If you’re looking for a complementary drink, consider serving these cupcakes with a cup of milk tea, Thai iced tea, or a freshly brewed cup of coffee. For those who prefer non-caffeinated beverages, a cup of hot chocolate or a glass of milk would be perfect.
Serving as Dessert
Pandan Cupcakes are a great dessert option for any occasion. Whether you’re having a party, a family gathering, or just want to enjoy a sweet treat after dinner, these cupcakes are a perfect choice. You can serve them as they are or with a dollop of whipped cream on top. For an extra touch of elegance, you can also add some sliced fruit or edible flowers as a garnish.
Serving with Ice Cream
For an extra indulgent treat, you can serve Pandan Cupcakes with a scoop of ice cream. Vanilla or coconut ice cream would pair particularly well with the pandan flavor. Simply place a blob of ice cream on top of each cupcake, and enjoy the heavenly combination of warm cake and cold ice cream.
No matter how you choose to serve and pair these delicious Pandan Cupcakes, they are sure to be a hit. So go ahead, get creative, and enjoy these unique and flavorful treats to the fullest!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating Options
If you’re wondering how to make the most of your Pandan Cupcakes in terms of make-ahead, storing, and reheating, here are a few tips and tricks to help you out.
One of the great things about these Pandan Cupcakes is that they can be made ahead of time. Simply store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you’re making them well in advance, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
Storing and Reheating
To keep your Pandan Cupcakes fresh, it’s important to store them properly. Always keep them in an airtight container, and avoid storing them in the fridge or freezer unless absolutely necessary. When it comes to reheating, you can pop them in the oven or microwave for a few seconds to warm them up.
To ensure that your Pandan Cupcakes are moist and fluffy, it’s important not to overbake them. Check on them frequently, and remove them from the oven as soon as a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Use the Right Cake Pan Size
The size of your cake pan can make a big difference in the final result. If you’re making cupcakes, use muffin tins or a non-stick cake pan to ensure that they bake evenly. If you’re making a larger cake, make sure to use a chiffon cake pan or an angel food cake pan for the best results.
Use the Right Tools
When it comes to baking, having the right tools can make all the difference. Use a wire whisk or a balloon whisk to beat the egg whites to stiff peak stage, and use an electric mixer to make the frosting. A rubber spatula is also a must-have for folding the egg whites into the batter.
Add Extra Flavor
If you want to enhance the pandan flavor even more, you can add a few drops of pandan extract or pandan paste to the frosting. You can also sprinkle some chopped pandan leaves on top for a touch of freshness.
By following these tips and tricks, you can ensure that your Pandan Cupcakes turn out perfect every time. Whether you’re making them for a special occasion or just for a sweet treat, these cupcakes are sure to impress.
Chef Chloe’s Tips
When it comes to baking pandan chiffon cakes, there are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind. Whether you’re an experienced baker or a beginner, these tips will help you achieve the perfect result:
- Use castor sugar instead of granulated sugar for a finer cake crumb.
- Sift the flour mixture at least twice to ensure a finer cake crumb.
- Check the baking time carefully to avoid under- or over-baking. Pandan chiffon cakes usually take around 45-50 minutes to bake, but this can vary depending on your oven.
- Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting or serving. This will prevent the frosting from melting and ensure that the cupcakes have a chance to set properly.
- Add a teaspoon of cream to the egg yolk batter for a richer and creamier texture.
- Use frozen pandan leaves if fresh leaves are not available. Simply blend the frozen leaves in a food processor with a pinch of salt and some coconut milk to create a smooth paste.
- Use a common chiffon cake pan or a chiffon tube pan for the best results.
- Use unsalted butter for a lighter and fluffier cake.
- Use fresh coconut milk instead of canned milk for a richer and more authentic flavor.
- To achieve a golden brown color on your pandan chiffon cake, brush the top with a mixture of egg yolk and a little bit of milk before baking.
By following these tips and tricks, you can ensure that your pandan chiffon cake turns out beautifully every time. Whether you’re a fan of chiffon cakes or new to the world of pandan flavors, this recipe is a must-try for any baker. So get baking and enjoy the deliciously fluffy and flavorful results!
In conclusion, these Pandan Cupcakes are a unique and flavorful treat that you won’t want to miss out on. They’re perfect for any occasion and are sure to impress anyone who tries them. Whether you’re a fan of pandan flavor or new to the world of Asian cooking, these cupcakes are a must-try.
What’s great about this recipe is that it’s easy to make and requires only a few ingredients that are readily available. With simple instructions and easy-to-find ingredients, you can create a beautiful and delicious batch of Pandan Cupcakes in no time.
These cupcakes are perfect on their own, but you can also get creative and pair them with your favorite beverage or even ice cream. And with the variations and tips provided in this article, you can get creative and make these cupcakes your own.
So go ahead, give this recipe a try and discover the unique and delicious flavors of pandan. Whether you enjoy them for a special occasion or just for a sweet treat, these Pandan Cupcakes are sure to become a new favorite. Don’t wait any longer – get baking and enjoy these delightful treats today!
Pandan Chiffon Cupcakes Recipe
- Muffin tins or non-stick cake pan
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Rubber spatula
- Wire rack
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp pandan extract
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, unsalted butter, and caster sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the egg yolks and pandan extract to the mixture and whisk until combined.
- In a separate clean mixing bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the egg whites until well combined.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins or a non-stick cake pan, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
For a more intense pandan flavor, you can add more pandan extract or pandan paste to the batter.
This recipe yields 6-8 cupcakes, depending on the size of your muffin tins or cake pan.
Your Own Notes
by Chef Chloe
Chloe is passionate about creating unique dishes that draw on the flavors of her favorite cultures. She loves experimenting with new ingredients and pushing the boundaries of traditional recipes. Her enthusiasm for cooking is infectious, and she is always eager to share her creations with friends and family.