Are you looking for a delicious and easy-to-make sub recipe? The meatball marinara sub is a classic that will satisfy your hunger, tantalize your taste buds and make you feel like part of the family. With its unique combination of savory flavors, this Italian-inspired dish is sure to become a regular in your home. Read on to discover how to recreate this tasty sandwich at home!
The classic meatball marinara sub is an Italian-American favorite. It’s the perfect marriage of hearty ingredients and rich flavor. Juicy meatballs are smothered in savory marinara sauce, then topped with melted mozzarella cheese and nestled between two slices of crusty bread. This meal is sure to please even the most particular palates.
To recreate this delicious sandwich at home, all you need is some ground beef, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese and two slices of crusty Italian bread. With these simple ingredients and a few steps, you can create a meal that’s full of flavor – without spending hours in the kitchen!
You’ll Love This Recipe
Tantalize your taste buds with this delicious meatball marinara sub recipe! This mouth-watering meal is sure to become a staple in your kitchen. With tender meatballs, homemade marinara sauce, and melted mozzarella cheese, this simple yet flavorful sandwich will have you coming back for more.
Gather the ingredients: ground beef, Italian breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, kosher salt, marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. Combine the beef with breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and spices and mix until everything is evenly distributed. Form into small balls and fry until they’re golden brown and cooked through. Then combine them with your favorite marinara sauce before topping with mozzarella cheese.
Place the subs on a baking sheet or pan and bake for 12-15 minutes at 375°F. Once the cheese is melted and bubbly the subs are ready to be served! Enjoy these hearty sandwiches hot out of the oven for a truly satisfying meal that you’ll love.
When you think of a classic Italian dish, you’re probably thinking of the famous meatball marinara sub recipe. And this one is no exception! This recipe will have your taste buds dancing and your stomach begging for more. Let’s take a look at what you need to get started on this amazing journey.
To create the perfect experience, you’ll need lean ground beef, tomato passata, and a mix of dry ingredients such as italian herbs and other spices from the south west region of Italy. All these ingredients come together to form juicy meatballs that will be incorporated into the meatball marinara sub sandwich.
Now that we’ve got all our ingredients together, let’s start forming those rounded little morsels of joy! Start by mixing everything together until combined and begin rolling them into small balls with your hands. Place each ball onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, making sure to leave enough room between each one so they don’t crowd each other. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown and cooked through – each bite should be juicy and warm.
This delicious Italian delicacy is sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face – so why not give it a try? You won’t regret it!
The Recipe How-To
Making delicious homemade meatballs is easier than you might think! According to a survey, 9 out of 10 people have enjoyed a meal with meatballs. You can create your own version of a classic Italian sub recipe using homemade or store bought cooked meatballs. Here’s how to get started.
First, you’ll need to prepare the tomato sauce and marinara sauce separately. To make the tomato sauce, you’ll need to combine parsley, mixed herbs, and coarse salt in an air tight container. To make the marinara sauce, you’ll need to mix store bought or leftover cooked meatballs with additional ingredients like olive oil, garlic cloves, and onion slices.
Once the sauces are ready, it’s time to assemble the sandwich! Start by heating up two slices of bread in the oven for about 5 minutes. Once they’re done, spread a generous amount of tomato sauce on one slice and marinara sauce on the other slice. Place some cooked meatballs in between and top with additional ingredients such as mozzarella cheese or Italian herbs if desired. Finally, place both slices of bread together and enjoy your Italian sub!
No matter which type of meatball you choose – homemade or store bought – this is sure to be a tasty lunch that will leave your taste buds satisfied! With just a few simple steps and a few delicious ingredients, you can create your own unique version of an Italian sub recipe that’s packed full of flavor.
Substitutions And Variations
Making a delicious meatball marinara sub is easy, but there are many ways to mix it up and create something unique. If you’re looking for an extra-special twist on the classic recipe, try out some of these substitutions and variations.
For a more saucy sandwich, you can make your own homemade tomato sauce or use a rich marinara sauce. To give your sauce some added flavor, you can also throw in some Worcestershire sauce or other ingredients like grated cheese. You can also top your sub with slices of cheddar cheese or other types of cheese for a melty, cheesy touch.
If you don’t have time to make your own sauce, no problem! Just add a cup of marinara sauce when making your meatballs and you’ll still be able to enjoy all the deliciousness of this classic Italian sandwich.
TIP: For an even tastier sub, sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top before serving!
Serving And Pairing Suggestions
Meatball subs are the ultimate weekend treat. Not only do they have a delicious flavor, but making them is a great way to get creative in the kitchen. Whether you use a pre-prepared roll or make your own from scratch, these subs are sure to be an instant hit.
For those looking for some cooking inspiration, why not try making meatball marinara sub in the slow cooker? A few tablespoons of fresh parsley will give the dish an extra special touch and if stored in an airtight container, any leftovers can be enjoyed at any time of day.
If you’re looking for exact measurements and ingredients, there are plenty of simple recipes online that you can follow. However, the beauty of this dish is that it’s easy to switch up ingredients and experiment with different flavors. So why not get creative and make something truly unique?
Chef Chloe’s Tips
The thought of creating a perfect meatball marinara sub recipe can be overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. Whether you’re looking for a copycat Subway version, or just want to make your own famous meatballs, here are some tips to help you get started:
- To ensure that your meatballs have a perfectly round shape, form them using your hands and place them in shallow bowls. This makes it easier to evenly roll the mixture into balls.
- For a crispier coating, use Panko breadcrumbs instead of traditional breadcrumbs in your bread crumb mixture.
- To make this a healthy weeknight dinner, opt for skinless chicken breasts instead of chicken cutlets for your parmesan-crusted chicken.
- If you don’t have an air fryer, you can bake your chicken in the oven. Place the chicken piece on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Bake at 400°F until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- To add some extra flavor, season your chicken breasts with a teaspoon of Italian seasonings and black pepper. You can also add a bit of garlic powder or a clove of fresh garlic to the parmesan mixture.
- To make your parmesan-crusted chicken even crispier, use a meat mallet to pound the chicken breast pieces to an even thickness.
- For a quick and easy weeknight dinner, serve your chicken with a side of green beans and a lemon wedge. You can also drizzle the chicken with a bit of lemon juice and freshly chopped parsley for a burst of fresh flavor.
- To make your meatballs extra juicy and flavorful, add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning, onion powder, and salt to the egg mixture.
- For a delicious variation on this recipe, try Chicken Piccata. Simply coat your chicken breast pieces in a flour mixture and then a lemon juice mixture before coating in the breadcrumb mixture.
- To make a cheesy garlic flavor, try coating your chicken in a mixture of melted unsalted butter, minced garlic, and Italian bread crumbs. Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
With these tips in hand, you can confidently create your own delicious version of the classic sandwich that everyone will love! Making something familiar yet unique at home brings comfort and joy – so why not give it a try?
Storing And Freezing Options
Are you wondering about storing and freezing options for your delicious meatball marinara sub recipe? You’re in luck – we’ve got all the answers right here! This classic dish is an absolute crowd pleaser, with its cheesy meatball sandwich loaded with classic ingredients such as grams of beef, granulated sugar, a sprinkling of salt, and grams of mozzarella. It’s also important to note that this dish has a higher fat content due to the added tablespoons of mayonnaise – so make sure to store it correctly!
The good news is that there are plenty of options for storing or freezing your meal. The first step should be breading the meatballs on a floured surface. Once completed, you can either refrigerate the meatballs for up to four days or freeze them for later use. If you choose to freeze your meatballs, let them cool at room temperature before transferring them into an airtight container or freezer bag. To ensure no moisture seeps in, wrap each individual ball with plastic wrap as well.
When it comes time to reheat your meal, you can either thaw out the frozen balls overnight in the refrigerator or place them in a baking dish and bake at 375°F until heated through. Whether you make these ahead of time or right before serving, they will always be a hit at any gathering!
My meatball marinara sub recipe is a classic, comforting meal that never fails to hit the spot. The combination of savory marinara sauce, cheesy mozzarella and tender meatballs is truly a taste sensation. From start to finish, this recipe is sure to be a hit with your friends and family.
I liken the process of making this sub recipe to taking a journey. You start off with gathering all your ingredients, just like packing for a trip. Then you prepare it all together in the right way – layering each ingredient with love and care, just like when you’re setting out on an adventure. Finally, when it’s done cooking, there’s nothing quite like the feeling of digging into the deliciousness that you worked so hard to create – it’s as satisfying as reaching your destination after a long journey!
If you want an easy yet impressive meal that everyone can enjoy, give my meatball marinara sub recipe a try – I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
Meatball Marinara Sub Recipe
- Slow cooker or crock pot
- Medium saucepan
- large mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- Frying pan
- Large saucepan
- Airtight container
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 lb hoagie rolls or sub buns
- 8 slices of provolone cheese
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce or homemade marinara sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- Form the mixture into small meatballs, about the size of a golf ball.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the meatballs to the pan and cook for about 8-10 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- In a medium saucepan, add the spaghetti sauce, Worcestershire sauce and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Heat over medium-low heat.
- Place the meatballs in the slow cooker or crock pot and pour the sauce over the meatballs. Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Cut the hoagie rolls in half lengthwise and butter the inside of each roll. Toast the rolls in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the rolls from the oven and place a slice of provolone cheese on the bottom half of each roll.
- Remove the meatballs from the slow cooker or crock pot and place them on top of the cheese.
- Spoon some of the sauce from the slow cooker or crock pot over the meatballs.
- Place the top half of the roll on top of the meatballs and press down gently.
- Serve immediately.
- You can also use store-bought meatballs if you don’t have time to make your own.
- If you want to make a double batch, you can store the leftover meatballs and sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- You can also use different types of meat like beef, pork or Italian sausage to make meatballs, or adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- You can also use an air fryer to cook the meatballs instead of frying them in a pan, which will make them a little healthier.
- You can also use slider buns or hot dog buns instead of hoagie rolls.
- If you want to make this recipe even more flavorful, add more of your favorite seasonings to the meatball mixture.
- If you want to add more heat to the sandwich, add more red pepper flakes or serve it
Your Own Notes
More Meatball Recipes
Chloe is passionate about creating unique dishes that draw on the flavors of her favorite cultures. She loves experimenting with new ingredients and pushing the boundaries of traditional recipes. Her enthusiasm for cooking is infectious, and she is always eager to share her creations with friends and family.