The smell of freshly made marinara sauce is enough to bring you to Italy without leaving your kitchen. It’s a nostalgic flavor that transports you back to grandma’s table, where the homemade Italian dishes were always served with love. But why settle for store bought sauce when you can make your own authentic marinara recipe from scratch?
Making marinara isn’t as complicated as it may seem – all it takes are a few simple ingredients and some patience. In this article, we’ll show you how to make an authentic Italian marinara sauce that will have your family and friends raving. We’ll walk you through every step of the process, so by the end of it, you’ll have a delicious dish that tastes like it came straight from Italy.
Ready to get cooking? Let’s dive in and learn how to make an authentic marinara sauce from scratch!
What Makes This Recipe Special
Nostalgia fills the air like the aroma of a freshly-cooked homemade marinara sauce recipe. Rich and fragrant, it’s a classic Italian sauce that brings us together as we gather around the table to enjoy a favorite pasta dish. This authentic marinara sauce recipe from scratch is something special – it’s all about simple ingredients, and the best tomatoes, that come together for an unforgettable flavor experience.
At the heart of this homemade marinara sauce recipe are fresh tomatoes – San Marzano tomatoes, to be exact. But it doesn’t stop there: whole tomatoes, garlic cloves, oregano, basil leaves and an immersion blender combine for an incredibly versatile flavor profile that stands out from other sauces. This classic Italian sauce will soon become your go-to topping for any pasta dish!
But why make this recipe from scratch? Because you can customize it to your taste preferences. You can add more or less garlic depending on your preference; you can adjust the salt levels; you can opt to use white wine if you’d like; and so much more! With this authentic marinara sauce recipe at your fingertips, you have control over the flavors in each batch — making it truly unique each time. It’s no wonder why this simple yet delicious dish has been around for generations – there’s just something special about it!
Are you ready to make an authentic marinara sauce from scratch? The ingredient list is simple and the results will be rewarding.
At the heart of this recipe are quality ingredients like olive oil, fresh basil, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, garlic cloves, heavy cream, balsamic vinegar, plum tomatoes and tomato puree. All of these ingredients come together to create a flavor that will tantalize your taste buds.
Let’s take a closer look at how each one plays its part in creating the perfect marinara sauce. Olive oil provides the base for the sauce while red pepper flakes add a little kick. Fresh basil helps bring out the sweetness of the tomatoes while heavy cream adds richness and depth. Balsamic vinegar gives it an extra layer of flavor while garlic cloves add a pungent aroma. Finally, plum tomatoes and tomato puree give it that classic Italian flavor.
With these key components in hand, you have everything you need to make an amazing marinara sauce! Now let’s get cooking and learn how to put together this delicious dish…
The Recipe How-To
Picture it: you, in your kitchen, ready to make the best marinara sauce around. You have all the ingredients laid out and are ready to get cooking. Making a delicious homemade marinara sauce is easier than it may seem! Follow these simple steps and you’ll be on your way to a classic marinara sauce that will have your friends and family asking for seconds.
To begin, heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once heated, add four cloves of minced garlic and sauté until fragrant (about one minute). Then, add one 28oz can of crushed tomatoes, one 6oz can of tomato paste, two teaspoons of sugar, two teaspoons of dried oregano, one teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to the pot; stir everything together to combine.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed before serving with your favorite pasta dish or topping off some pizza dough for a go-to dinner option that’s easy as can be.
Creating your own marinara sauce has never been so simple! You’ll be able to give those store-bought sauces a run for their money when you whip up this easy recipe – no doubt about it!
Substitutions And Variations
Do you want to get creative in the kitchen and make a delicious homemade marinara sauce that will tantalize your taste buds? You’ve come to the right place! With just a few simple ingredients and some extra virgin olive oil, you can easily whip up a batch of authentic marinara sauce that’s perfect for spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, chicken parmesan, mozzarella sticks, or any other homemade pasta dish.
Once you have the basic marinara recipe down, you can start experimenting with substitutions and variations. For a quick marinara sauce, skip the sautéing of vegetables and use canned diced tomatoes instead. If you’d like to add some Italian flair, try adding freshly chopped basil or oregano to your marinara. To make it heartier, add browned ground beef or Italian sausage for a meaty version of the classic tomato-based sauce. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, try adding different veggies like mushrooms or bell peppers for texture and flavor. And don’t forget about the Italian seasoning! Sprinkle some in for an extra depth of flavor that will take your marinara from great to amazing!
No matter what recipe variation you choose, with these tips and tricks in mind, you’ll be able to make an incredible homemade marinara that will impress even the pickiest eaters! Moving on…
Chef Chloe’s Tips
If you’re looking for a delicious sauce that won’t take too much time to make, then this authentic marinara sauce recipe is just the thing. It starts with a handful of basic pantry ingredients and only requires a large pot or saucepan and a food processor. The result is an amazing, flavorful sauce that you’ll want to put on everything. No matter how basic they may be, my ideas could still be helpful. So let me break it down for you:
- To make a simple marinara sauce, use a handful of fresh ingredients and keep the recipe basic.
- For a sweeter sauce, add a touch of sugar or a small drizzle of maple syrup.
- Store your homemade marinara sauce in airtight glass jars for easy access and to keep it fresh for a longer period of time.
- If you prefer a smooth sauce, use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the ingredients to your desired consistency.
- Making your own marinara sauce is a cost-effective alternative to store-bought sauces and you can control the ingredients and flavors to your liking.
- This easy marinara sauce recipe is a great base for other pasta sauces like bolognese, or can be used as a dipping sauce for mozzarella sticks or chicken parmesan.
- A dutch oven or large pot works best for making marinara sauce as it allows for a gentle simmer and promotes even cooking.
- To enhance the flavors, try adding fresh herbs like basil or thyme to your sauce.
- For a golden brown color, cook the sauce over low heat for a little time and let it reduce to your desired consistency.
- This simple marinara sauce recipe can be used for a variety of pasta recipes, making it a new favorite for your taste buds.
- Making your own pasta sauce is an easy way to add more flavor to your favorite bowl of pasta without any additional cost.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or halved to fit your needs and can be made ahead of time for a busy weeknight dinner.
- Store-bought jars of pasta sauce can contain preservatives and added sugars, making it easy to switch to a homemade version for a healthier alternative.
- This recipe is perfect for young children as it is made with simple ingredients and can be adjusted to their liking.
- For any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us via email and we will be happy to assist you.
Storing And Freezing Suggestions
Storing and freezing your marinara sauce is a great way to enjoy those delicious flavors for an extended period of time. There are several favorite ways to store this delicious sauce, and they’re all easy-to-follow. Let’s look at the best ways to make sure you can enjoy this authentic marinara sauce recipe from scratch for as long as possible!
When making a big batch of marinara sauce, many people like to freeze it for future use. This is a great way to have access to your go-to recipe any time you want, with little effort or time needed. To do this, let the sauce cool before transferring it into freezer bags or containers. Make sure you don’t fill them up too much—leave a little bit of headroom in case the sauce expands while being frozen. When ready, pop it into the freezer and it should stay good for up to three months!
Freezing isn’t the only option when it comes to storing marinara sauce, though. You can also keep it in the fridge for about five days if you choose. To do this successfully, cook your sauce on medium heat until it has reached a smooth consistency before transferring it into an airtight container. Keeping your marinara in the fridge is especially great for those times when you don’t need a large batch – plus there are some good reasons why cooked sauces taste better than cold ones!
So next time you make a delicious homemade marinara sauce from scratch with all your favorite ingredients, don’t forget that there are plenty of options out there when it comes to storing and freezing your creation. It’s easy-to-follow and will ensure that you can always have access to great recipes whenever cravings strike!
Making marinara sauce from scratch can be a rewarding experience. It takes time and effort to make, but the results are well worth it. You don’t need any special equipment; just a few basic kitchen tools and ingredients, plus your culinary skills. This recipe is suitable for vegetarians, and it’s not overly spicy so everyone can enjoy it. You’ll get about four servings out of this recipe, so you don’t have to worry about making too much.
It’s like taking a journey into Italy with every bite of this homemade marinara sauce. The flavors burst in your mouth with each spoonful, transporting you back in time to when your grandmother was in the kitchen making her famous sauce. I’m sure she would be proud that you were able to recreate her recipe from scratch!
Making marinara sauce is an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon in the kitchen, experimenting with flavors and textures until you find the perfect combination. Don’t let fear of failure stop you from trying something new; take a chance and make this delicious marinara sauce from scratch today! You won’t regret it!
Classic Homemade Marinara Sauce Recipe
- Large saucepan or pot
- Immersion blender or food processor
- Food mill (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cans 28 oz each whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (undrained) and tomato paste to the pot. Use an immersion blender or food processor to blend the tomatoes until smooth.
- Add the red pepper flakes (if using), fresh basil, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- If desired, use a food mill to remove the seeds and skin from the sauce for a smoother consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- If you prefer a sweeter sauce, you can add a tablespoon of maple syrup or balsamic vinegar during step 3.
- You can also use fresh plum tomatoes or San Marzano tomatoes in place of canned tomatoes for a more authentic marinara sauce.
- This recipe makes a big batch of sauce, which can be stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- This marinara sauce is a great base for many other sauces like bolognese or Sunday gravy.
- This recipe can be easily halved for smaller portions.
- Feel free to use your favorite herbs or seasonings to customize the flavor.
This recipe is a great go-to recipe for any type of tomato-based sauce and can be used for different dishes like meat sauce, pizza sauce, or even a dipping sauce for mozzarella sticks.
Your Own Notes
Chloe is passionate about creating unique dishes that draw on the flavors of her favorite cultures. She loves experimenting with new ingredients and pushing the boundaries of traditional recipes. Her enthusiasm for cooking is infectious, and she is always eager to share her creations with friends and family.