Lemper Ayam (Sticky Rice With Chicken Filling) Recipe
Do you want to try something different for your next meal? Are you feeling adventurous and want to explore new flavors? If so, then I have the perfect recipe for you – Lemper Ayam (Sticky Rice with Chicken Filling), an Indonesian rice snack that is packed with flavor and sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Lemper Ayam is a popular snack in Indonesia made of sticky rice filled with seasoned chicken. This dish has become well-known worldwide due to its delicious taste and unique ingredients. There are a few key ingredients that make Lemper Ayam stand out, such as coconut milk, tamarind juice, kaffir lime leaves, and lemongrass. These ingredients come together to create a flavor explosion that will leave you wanting more.
The process of making Lemper Ayam is simple, but it requires attention to detail. The sticky rice needs to be cooked just right, and the chicken filling needs to be perfectly seasoned. But don’t worry; I will guide you through each step so that you can create this delicious dish from the comfort of your own kitchen.
So what are you waiting for? Embark on a culinary journey with me and try this Lemper Ayam recipe today. I guarantee that it will change your perception of rice snacks forever!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re looking for a mouthwatering, savory snack, then look no further than Lemper Ayam! This Indonesian rice rolls snack leaves you craving for more. From the first bite, you will be transported to Indonesia with its exotic flavors that mingle with your taste buds in a way that is both tantalizing and addictive.
Firstly, this dish is made with sticky glutinous rice, which gives it a unique texture and satisfying chewiness. The filling of shredded chicken and spiced chicken floss offers a perfect balance between savory and mildly sweet notes, which will make you crave every bite.
Moreover, the coconut milk used in this recipe offers a delightful aroma and creaminess to Lemper Ayam. The kaffir lime and bay leaves give an added floral touch to the dish, making it a feast for both senses of taste and smell.
Lemper Ayam is also versatile. It can be served as an appetizer or as a main dish at any event – from family gatherings to party platters – these indonesian sticky rice rolls always steal the show! And since it’s easy to make in batches, it’s perfect for meal-preparing or serving guests.
Lastly, but not least, the ingredients used in this recipe can easily be found at your local Asian market. Once purchased, the ingredients are easy to work with so that even novice cooks can recreate this Indonesian delicacy without breaking a sweat.
In conclusion, with its unique texture, mouth-watering filling of shredded chicken and fragrant aroma lent by coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves– Lemper Ayam can quickly become one of your go-to snacks if you love exploring new flavors! So go ahead – try it today; we guarantee you won’t regret it!
Get Ready to Make Some Ayam Sticky Rice Rolls – Here is What You Will Need:
Sticky rice: Also known as glutinous rice, this is the main ingredient and will make up the outer layer of the Lemper Ayam. Make sure to purchase 500 grams of sticky rice or glutinous rice.
Chicken breasts: The filling of the Lemper Ayam will consist of shredded chicken. You can use 2-3 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded. Alternatively, you can use chicken floss that can be easily found in an Asian market.
Coconut milk: To give the sticky rice its soft but firm texture, we will need 500 ml coconut milk that should be poured into the sticky rice after boiling it.
Shallots and garlic cloves: To add a little more flavor to the chicken filling, we will need about 2 shallots and 2 garlic cloves finely chopped.
Lemongrass stalk: We will add one stalk of lemongrass to the chicken filling for a fresh citrusy taste.
Kaffir lime leaves and bay leaves: These leaves are commonly used in Indonesian cooking and give a distinct aroma and flavor to our dish. You will need a few kaffir lime leaves and bay leaves to add them to both the sticky rice mixture and chicken filling.
Tamarind juice: Add some tanginess to your Lemper Ayam with tamarind juice. Use 2 teaspoons of tamarind juice in the chicken filling recipe.
Note: If you cannot find tamarind juice in your local grocery store, mix equal parts lime juice and brown sugar instead.
Now that you have all your recipe ingredients, let’s hop on to the next section where I’ll guide you on how to make these delicious sticky rice filled rolls.
The Recipe How-To
Now that we have all the ingredients ready, let’s learn how to make this delicious Lemper Ayam (Sticky Rice With Chicken Filling) recipe.
Step 1: Prepare the Sticky Rice
- First, rinse 500 grams of sticky or glutinous rice in cold water until the water turns clear.
- Soak the rice with enough water for at least 2 hours.
- Drain the rice and place it in a pot with 200 ml of coconut milk, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 stalk of lemongrass, 2 kaffir lime leaves, and 2 bay leaves.
- Add enough water until it reaches about 1.5 parts water to 1 part rice.
- Cook on low heat while stirring occasionally until the rice is fully cooked.
Step 2: Make the Chicken Filling
- Boil 2 chicken breasts until fully cooked and then shred them into thin strips using two forks.
- In a pan, heat some oil and sauté minced 3 garlic cloves and 3 shallots until fragrant.
- Add the shredded chicken into the pan and stir well.
- Pour in 200 ml of coconut milk, followed by 3 tablespoons of tamarind juice, and season with salt to taste.
- Stir everything for about 10 minutes until the filling has thickened.
Step 3: Assemble Your Lemper Ayam Sticky Rice Rolls
- Take a banana leaf (or parchment paper as a substitute) and spread some sticky rice on top of it.
- Flatten it down using a spoon to form a rectangular shape.
- Place a strip of chicken filling in the center of the rectangle.
- Fold the sides of the leaves over the chicken filling.
- Tightly roll up the banana leaf into a cylindrical shape.
- Cut it into slices about one inch thick.
Step 4: Serve Your Delicious Lemper Ayam Sticky Rice Rolls
Now that your Lemper Ayam (Sticky Rice With Chicken Filling) rolls are ready, serve them while they are still hot. You can also store them in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to three days. When reheating, lightly steam them over medium heat for about 10 minutes. This dish is perfect as a snack or an appetizer. Enjoy!
Substitutions and Variations
Cooking is all about experimentation and creativity, and this recipe for Lemper Ayam is no exception. Substituting and varying some of the ingredients is a fun and flavorful way to make the dish truly your own. This section will give you some ideas on how to personalize the flavors of your Lemper Ayam.
1. Coconut Milk – In this recipe, coconut milk plays a key role in giving the sticky rice its sweetness and creaminess. However, if you don’t have coconut milk, you can substitute it with full-fat cow’s milk or almond milk. This will impart a different flavor profile to your Lemper Ayam, but it will still be delicious.
2. Protein – Chicken breasts are used in this recipe to make the filling, but you can easily substitute this with ground beef, pork, or tofu for a vegetarian option. You can also use shrimp or fish as an alternative protein source.
3. Aromatics – Kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, garlic cloves, and shallots are all major flavor contributors in the dish. If you can’t find these ingredients at your local grocery store or Asian market, feel free to experiment with substitutes like green onions or regular limes.
4. Rice – Sticky rice or glutinous rice is used in traditional Lemper Ayam recipes. But if you don’t have access to sticky rice, short-grain Japanese rice can work just as well.
5. Seasoning – The traditional Indonesian spice blend used in this recipe includes bay leaves, tamarind juice, salt and granulated sugar. However, feel free to experiment with other spices like curry powder or coriander powder for added flavor.
Remember that cooking is an art form and each ingredient substitution will affect the overall taste of the Lemper Ayam. So be sure to keep tasting your creation until it suits your personal preferences. Don’t forget to make note of what worked well so you can tweak it for future versions!
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing, lemper ayam is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. This Indonesian delicacy can be served as an appetizer or a side dish along with a variety of main courses.
For breakfast or brunch, lemper ayam can be paired with a light fruit salad or crispy bacon and eggs. This combination provides a balanced meal that will keep you energized throughout the day.
If you’re serving it as an appetizer or a party snack, consider pairing it with some grilled or fried veggies such as eggplant or zucchini. This not only adds some color and flavor to the dish but also contributes to creating a nutrient-rich diet.
As for drinks, a hot cup of tea or coffee can easily complement the flavors and texture of lemper ayam. If you prefer something cold, try pairing it with a refreshing iced tea.
Alternatively, if you’re planning to serve lemper ayam as part of an Indonesian feast, there are many other dishes to consider pairing it with such as sate (grilled meat skewers), gado-gado (Indonesian salad), or nasi goreng (Indonesian fried rice). These combinations provide an authentic taste of Indonesia and make for an impressive spread that your guests will enjoy.
Overall, whether you choose to serve lemper ayam as part of a small gathering or present it in the context of an elaborate feast, its unique flavor profile and the flexibility in its presentation means that it is sure to be well-received by all.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the greatest things about Lemper Ayam (Sticky Rice With Chicken Filling) Recipe is that it can be made ahead and stored for later use. You can prepare this dish up to a week in advance and refrigerate or freeze it for longer storage.
To refrigerate the Lemper Ayam, Place the cooled sticky rice rolls in an airtight container or ziplock bag and store them in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh and ready to eat for up to four days. Before eating, simply reheat them by steaming them until they are hot.
If you want to extend their shelf life, store the Lemper Ayam in the freezer after they’ve cooled down completely. They will last for up to three months when stored properly. To reheat frozen Lemper Ayam, allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before steaming them until hot.
When reheating either chilled or frozen rolls, place them in a steamer basket over boiling water until they are heated through (about 10-15 minutes).
As with all make-ahead recipes, storing the Lemper Ayam in proper containers is key to preserving its quality. And when reheating any leftovers, make sure that they are heated all the way through so as not to compromise your health.
With these simple storage and reheating tips, you can enjoy your tasty Lemper Ayam even on busy weekdays when you don’t have time to prepare your meals from scratch.
Tips for Perfect Results
To achieve the best possible results when making lemper ayam, there are some tips that you should keep in mind.
Firstly, it’s important to use the right type of rice. Sticky rice, also known as glutinous rice, which can be purchased at an Asian market, is crucial for achieving the right texture. Do not substitute with regular white or brown rice.
Secondly, take the time to properly soak the rice before cooking it. Soak the rice in water for at least 4 hours or overnight before draining and rinsing it thoroughly. This will ensure that the grains cook evenly and result in a sticky consistency.
Thirdly, when shaping the lemper ayam rolls, it’s important to not overfill them with chicken mixture as this can cause the rolls to burst open during cooking. A good rule of thumb is to use about two tablespoons of filling per roll.
Fourthly, brushing banana leaves with oil before using them as a wrapping material will help prevent sticking and tearing during cooking.
Fifthly, when it comes to seasoning, do not skimp on spices such as kaffir lime leaves or lemongrass. These ingredients are essential for achieving an authentic Indonesian flavor and aroma.
Lastly, be sure to store any leftover lemper ayam correctly by wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap or foil before placing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Eat within two days for optimal freshness.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to make perfect and delicious lemper ayam every time!
In conclusion, Lemper Ayam is a delicious and satisfying Indonesian snack that you won’t be able to resist once you try it. Its flavor is a perfect combination of sticky rice and chicken filling, which is also great for pairing with other dishes or eating alone.
As we’ve seen in this recipe article, making Lemper Ayam at home is relatively easy and requires minimal ingredients. You can make substitutions or variations to suit your preferences or dietary needs, but keep in mind that the original recipe’s ingredients are what give it its unique taste.
You can also make Lemper Ayam ahead of time and store it for later use, meaning you’ll always have access to this tasty snack whenever your craving strikes.
So why not try making Lemper Ayam yourself? It’s a relatively simple yet exciting recipe that will leave you with a mouth-watering food experience. Whether you’re an Indonesian food enthusiast or just looking for something new to try, Lemper Ayam should undoubtedly find its way into your kitchen soon.
Lemper Ayam (Sticky Rice With Chicken Filling) Recipe
- 500 g sticky rice, soaked for 2 hours, then steamed for 15 minutes
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemongrass, bruised
- 2 bay leaves
- 250 g chicken breasts, boiled
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tablespoon tamarind juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 5 shallots
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 candlenuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sticky rice:
- put to boil the coconut milk with salt, lemon grass, and bay leaves put. Put it the presteamed sticky rice until the coconut milk fully absorbed by the rice.
- Shred the chicken breast.
- Crush the shallots, garlic, candlenuts, coriander seeds, granulated sugar, and salt.
- Sauté the crushed spices in the vegetable oil until fragrant. Put in the shredded chicken breast, coconut milk, bay leaves, kaffir lime leaves, and tamarind juice. Cook until of the coconut milk fully absorbed.
- Spread half of the sticky rice onto a box shaped cake mould, spread the chicken stuffing, and then spread the other half of the sticky rice on top of the stuffing. Steamed until the the sticky rice is fully cooked.
- Unmold, cut into 20 square pieces, the wrap in banana leaves. Ready to serve.
Your Own Notes
You’ll Love These Rice Recipes
Enjoy a Delicious Chicken Taco Casserole That’s Easy to Make
Delicious Sushi Pizza Recipe to Blow Your Mind
Asian Chicken Cabbage Rolls for a Flavorful Meal
Basic Oriental Fried Rice – Stephen Yan Recipe
Flavorful Clay Pot Rice with Chicken Recipe
Easy Creamy Ranch Chicken and Rice Casserole Recipe
Marinated Oriental Pork Tenderloin With Fried Rice Recipe
Sizzling Steak & Shiitake Fried Rice Recipe
Santa Fe Chicken With Saffron Rice Recipe
Grandma’s Favorite Chicken and Rice Recipe
Egg Foo Yung (Fried Rice With Eggs and Bean Sprouts) Recipe
Chloe is passionate about creating unique dishes that draw on the flavors of her favorite cultures. She loves experimenting with new ingredients and pushing the boundaries of traditional recipes. Her enthusiasm for cooking is infectious, and she is always eager to share her creations with friends and family.