Delicious and Nutritious Lebanese Olive Pizza Recipe
Are you looking for a recipe that satisfies your cravings for both pizza and olives? Look no further than this Lebanese Olive Pizza recipe. As a professional chef, I have always admired the Middle Eastern cuisine for its unique flavors and tantalizing aroma. This recipe incorporates the traditional pizza toppings with savory Kalamata and green olives, which are prominently used in Lebanese cuisine.
This Lebanese-style pizza, or man’oushe, is typically served for breakfast or lunch in predominantly middle eastern countries. It features the classic combination of tomato paste, cheese, and dough but is elevated with the addition of za’atar spices and olives. The result is a rich fusion of flavors that balance well together.
While this recipe may look complicated at first glance, it’s actually quite simple to put together. Whether you’re looking for an appetizer or a quick dinner option, this recipe is perfect for all occasions. With the flexibility to make personal sized pizzas, it can even be a great meal idea for family movie nights or game nights.
Join me in the journey of creating an authentic Middle Eastern dish that will leave your taste buds begging for more. Let’s get started!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Greetings foodies! Are you looking for a pizza recipe that is unique and will blow your taste buds away? Look no further than the Lebanese Olive Pizza Recipe. This recipe combines the classic style of pizza with the flavors of the Middle East to deliver a delicious and savory dish that will be sure to please everyone.
What sets this recipe apart is the use of kalamata and green olives, which work together to create a mouthwatering flavor that will make your taste buds sing. The olives are followed by grated mozzarella cheese and feta cheese, which gives that perfect cheesy consistency when melted in the oven.
This is not just any ordinary pizza dish – it’s a unique take on traditional pizza with a flair of Lebanese traditions, incorporating za’atar seasoning, tomato paste, dried oregano, and dried basil. Such a exotic range of ingredients will leave you yearning for more after every bite.
The crust is made from Lebanese flatbread (manakish) dough or traditional homemade pizza dough, which is crispy on the outside while remaining warm and fluffy on the inside. The toppings are added in perfectly measured amount so each piece will have an equally beautiful slice. It’s like eating your own personal blended Mini-Pizza.
One of the best things about this recipe is its versatility – You can enjoy it as a main course or slice into smaller portions to serve as party snacks at gatherings with friends or family. Try this recipe out once and never again settle for unsatisfying store-bought pizzas or traditional boring ones.
In conclusion, if you’re in search for a mouth-watering Mediterranean-style pizza that stands unique compared to other pizzas out there then this recipe is for you. So substitute tradition with modernity and include this remarkable dish in your cooking lineup!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp dried basil
- ¾ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- ¾ cup warm water
- 4 cups kalamata and green olives (olives work well)
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese + ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (or use toppings like pepperoni, mushrooms, or onions)
Instructions for Pizza Dough:
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, basil, oregano, garlic powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix the olive oil and yeast with warm water.
- Add the flour mixture to this bowl gradually and stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a dough.
- Use your hands to knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and let it rise for at least an hour.
Instructions for Toppings:
- Preheat the oven to 225°C (425°F).
- Spread tomato paste evenly on top of Lebanese bread.
- Top with grated mozzarella followed evenly spaced olives and feta cheese.
- Sprinkle za’atar over the pizza (if using).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the edges of the bread are golden brown.
Note: This Lebanese pizza recipe can be made into Man’oushe by rolling out the dough thinly and sprinkling za’atar on top before baking – this recipe is also known as Manakish Zaatar Pizza or Mediterranean Flatbread.
Enjoy your homemade traditional Lebanese Olive Pizza!
The Recipe How-To
Get ready to make a delicious Lebanese Olive Pizza with this easy-to-follow recipe! This recipe will yield 2 pizzas, but don’t worry- they won’t last long!
First things first, let’s gather our ingredients. You will need:
- Pizza Dough (1 recipe)
- Tomato Paste (4 cups)
- Olive Oil (1 tablespoon)
- Dried Basil (1/2 teaspoon)
- Dried Oregano (3/4 teaspoon)
- Garlic Powder (1/4 teaspoon)
- Salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Ground Black Pepper (1/4 teaspoon)
- Kalamata Olives (2 cups, pitted and sliced)
- Green Olives (1 cup, pitted and sliced)
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese (2 cups)
- Feta Cheese (1/2 cup, crumbled)
- Preheat your oven to 225°C / 425°F.
- Spread the tomato paste evenly across the Lebanese bread.
- Add the dried basil, dried oregano, garlic powder, salt and black pepper to the olive oil in a small bowl and stir to combine. Pour this mixture over the tomato paste on both pizzas.
- Top each Leabanese bread with grated mozzarella cheese followed by kalamata olives and green olives evenly spaced.
- Finally sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges of your homemade Lebanese Olive Pizza are golden brown.
- Once cooked cut into slices and serve hot.
Feel free to mix things up with these creative twists.
You can make mini pizzas using the same recipe above! Just divide the dough into smaller balls before pressing them out.
Mix za’atar with olive oil to create a flavorful Mediterranean flatbread pizza.
Traditional Lebanese Style Pizza Toppings:
Mix authentic Mediterranean toppings like lamb, eggplant, or roasted red peppers into your pizza for an even more traditional Lebanese experience.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Lebanese Olive Pizza!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to making pizza, the possibilities are endless. While the Lebanese Olive Pizza recipe is delicious as is, there are a few substitutions and variations you can try to switch things up.
Firstly, if you can’t find kalamata olives, any pitted olive will work well. Green olives, for example, add a slightly different flavor profile but still complement the other ingredients nicely.
If you prefer a traditional-style pizza, feel free to leave out the za’atar and stick to classic toppings like pepperoni or mushrooms. You can even mix in some feta cheese alongside the mozzarella for an extra burst of tanginess.
For smaller bites, you can use mini pizza dough or even make this recipe into a flatbread. A Lebanese flatbread recipe works perfectly for this, or you can use pita bread for a Mediterranean twist.
Another fun variation is to swap out the olive oil for garlic butter or sprinkle on some garlic powder before baking for added flavor. You can also experiment with different types of cheese like cheddar or gouda if you’re feeling adventurous.
Don’t be afraid to get creative with your toppings and take inspiration from other Middle Eastern dishes. Manakish Za’atar Pizza is a similar Mediterranean flatbread that often includes toppings like sliced tomatoes and onions.
Ultimately, the beauty of pizza-making lies in its versatility. With a little imagination and some kitchen experimentation, you can transform this Lebanese Olive Pizza into something entirely unique and delicious.
Serving and Pairing
One of my favorite things about this Lebanese olive pizza recipe is that it’s perfectly satisfying on its own, but it also pairs well with a variety of side dishes and beverages.
If you’re serving this pizza as an appetizer or side dish, consider pairing it with a fresh salad, like Fattoush or Tabouli. The lightness and acidity of these salads can balance out the richness of the pizza.
If you want to serve it as a main dish, pair it with some simple cooked vegetables like grilled zucchini, carrots or bell peppers that can complement the flavors of the pizza while offering some nutrition.
As for beverages, this pizza goes well with a variety of drinks. If you prefer non-alcoholic drinks, I recommend serving it with Ayran – a refreshing salty yogurt drink that complements the savory flavors of the pizza.
For a more spirited occasion, you can’t go wrong with a cold beer – the crisp carbonation and bitterness perfectly cut through the heavy textures and flavors of the pizza. You could also enjoy it with red wine like Chianti, Syrah or Zinfandel; the fruity aromas and spices in these wines match the bold flavors in the pizza.
Finally, if you’re making Lebanese olive pizza for breakfast or brunch, don’t forget your morning coffee or tea to start your day off right!
Regardless of your chosen pairing and whether you are sharing this delicious treat with friends or family, this Lebanese olive pizza recipe is sure to impress every taste bud!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
As a busy chef always on the go, I understand the importance of having meals prepared in advance. That’s why I’m excited to share with you these tips for make-ahead, storing, and reheating your Lebanese Olive Pizza.
Once your pizza is baked to perfection, it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, simply pop it in the oven at 350°F for 10-12 minutes or until crispy and heated through.
However, if you plan on making the pizza ahead of time and storing it before baking, I recommend that you keep the toppings separate from the dough to avoid any sogginess. You can prepare and store mini pizza doughs in the refrigerator or freezer for up to two weeks, making it quick and convenient when you’re ready to whip up some delicious Lebanese olive pizzas.
Storing your Lebanese Flatbread with olive topping separately is also a great option as it allows you to easily pack them for lunch or as an on-the-go snack. Simply sprinkle some za’atar over them and enjoy!
If reheating isn’t possible or you’re looking for a different option, you can also enjoy this recipe cold. It’s perfect for those hot summer days when you don’t want to turn on the oven. You can even try turning it into a cold mezze platter by adding different dips like hummus or tzatziki.
With these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to enjoy your Lebanese Olive Pizza anytime and anywhere without worrying about sacrificing its quality or taste.
Tips for Perfect Results
To ensure your Lebanese olive pizza recipe comes out perfectly every time, here are some helpful tips:
1. Preheat the oven to 225°C/425°F: Preheating is important when it comes to pizza baking, as it helps to create a crispy crust. Allow your oven to come to temperature for at least 10-15 minutes before placing the pizza inside.
2. Use high-quality ingredients: As with any recipe, using fresh and high-quality ingredients can make a significant difference in the taste of your finished dish. Opt for fresh herbs, and if possible, purchase Kalamata olives from a specialty store or Mediterranean market for the most authentic flavor.
3. Don’t overdo it on the toppings: While it can be tempting to pile on all of your favorite toppings onto a pizza, doing so can cause it to become soggy and difficult to bake evenly. Instead, choose 1-2 main toppings like the Lebanese olive and follow with some complementary cheese such as feta or mozzarella.
4. Bake on a preheated pizza stone or steel: If you want an even crispier crust for your Lebanese olive pizza, consider investing in a pizza stone or steel (a thicker version of a stone). They help distribute heat more evenly across the crust resulting in better crust formation.
5. Follow dough preparation correctly for right thickness: The preparation of the dough is key to making great pizza; achieving the right thickness of the crust will make or break your olive pizza recipe. When working with thicker doughs, let them rise longer than thinner ones, which will yield a lighter bread texture.
6. Allow your pizza dough to rest after rolling it out: Once you’ve rolled out your dough into desired shape ,give it few minutes of resting time so that gluten relaxes and won’t shrink back when you add toppings.
7. Consider adding different cheeses and aromatic spices like za’atar: Spread some za’atar spice mix over top for an unusual yet delicious touch! Also consider using different types of cheese such as feta cheese or goat cheese for added flavor.
By following these tips, your Lebanese olive pizza will turn out perfect every time!
As you get ready to try out this Lebanese olive pizza recipe, you might have a few questions in mind. To set your mind at ease and ensure that nothing goes amiss during the cooking process, I’ve compiled some commonly asked questions and their corresponding answers. Read on to find out more!
What is Lebanese style pizza?
If you’re looking for a tasty Middle Eastern dish, man’oushe is an excellent choice! This Lebanese alternative to pizza features flat bread that’s garnished with a mix of oil and za’atar, and can be customized with an array of toppings like cheese, meat, vegetables, pickles, and labneh. For the best taste, it is typically cooked over a wood fire in the traditional manner.
What is the difference between Manoush and pizza?
Have you ever tried a man’oushe? It is a Middle Eastern flatbread that is smaller in size compared to a pizza, making it convenient for folding and eating. It can be made with a thin or thick dough depending on your preference. The traditional man’oushe is typically topped with za’atar, a mix of herbs and spices including thyme, along with oil. This Lebanese dish is mouthwatering and definitely worth trying.
Which olives are best for pizza?
For a scrumptious pizza experience, olives are an excellent addition that can bring an earthy and flavorful taste that pairs perfectly with cheese and dough. While black olives are a classic choice for pizza toppings, there are other types of olives that also work well. So, get ready to take your pizza game to the next level with the delightful addition of olives!
Do you put green olives on pizza?
If you’re looking for a way to add some zesty flavor to your pizza, olives are a fantastic ingredient to consider. However, with different varieties offering unique tastes, it’s important to choose the right one for your pie. For instance, green olives can be a great choice for a vegetarian pizza, while Kalamata olives are an excellent complement to salami. And for those who love the classic combination of feta cheese and olives, black olives are the way to go.
In conclusion, this Lebanese Olive Pizza recipe is a must-try for pizza enthusiasts and anyone looking to add some Middle Eastern flavor to their cooking. It’s simple to make, and the combination of za’atar and kalamata olives gives it a unique twist that sets it apart from traditional pizza.
The recipe is versatile, allowing plenty of room for experimentation with toppings and substitutions. You can try using different types of olives or cheeses, or even add some veggies for some extra nutrition.
It is also adaptable to different dietary requirements preferences. For example, vegans can use vegan cheese or substitute it with more olives, and those who are gluten intolerant can use a gluten-free pizza crust.
Overall, this Lebanese olive pizza recipe is an excellent addition to your recipe box, whether you’re entertaining guests or looking for a quick dinner option. So roll up your sleeves, try it out and impress your taste buds with this delicious and flavorful pizza.
Lebanese Olive Pizza Recipe
- 100 g lebanese bread (about 30cm or 12-inches round)
- 125 g tomato paste
- 125 g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 100 g kalamata olives (pitted)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 225 C (425F).
- Spread tomato paste even over leabanese bread and top with grated mozzarella, followed by evenly spaced olives.
- Sprinkle herbs over the top.
- Bake in oven for 10 – 15 minutes (check after 10, it doesn’t take long).
- Allow to rest a few minutes before cutting and serving.
Your Own Notes
Recommended by Chef CHLOE
These recipes have been carefully chosen by me so you can be sure they are top-notch. Make sure to try them out and enjoy the delicious flavors that come with them. You won’t be disappointed!
Spicy Meatloaf – Nourishing Traditions Recipe
Delicious and Nutritious: Special K Cookies Recipe
Delicious Spaghetti Bread Recipe Perfect for Any Meal
Start Your Day with Delicious South Beach Oatmeal Pancake
Delicious Smokehouse Chicken for a Perfect BBQ Party
Delicious and Easy Mexican Meatloaf Recipe
Delicious and Tart Red Currant Muffins Recipe
Rachael Ray’s Roasted Poblano Steak Chili Recipe
Rachael Ray’s Italian Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Decadent Junior Mint Brownies: A Chocolate Lover’s Dream
Delicious Pretzel-Crusted Crab Cakes Recipe
Mouthwatering Nutty Oven Fried Fish Recipe
Noreen’s Chicken: Delicious and Nutritious Dish for a Healthy Lifestyle
Nom Nom Nom Cookies: Heavenly Chocolate Chip That Melts in Your Mouth
Spice up Your Meals with Hot Mexican Chicken Lime Soup Recipe!
Low Fat Pepperoni Pizza on a Flat Out Recipe
Deliciously Healthy Low Fat Butter Chicken Recipe
Delicious and Guilt-Free: Low Fat Amaretto Biscotti Recipe
Juicy, Succulent, Tender: Lolly’s Roast Chicken Recipe
Mouthwatering Korean BBQ Beef Recipe: A Foodie’s Delight
Chloe is passionate about creating unique dishes that draw on the flavors of her favorite cultures. She loves experimenting with new ingredients and pushing the boundaries of traditional recipes. Her enthusiasm for cooking is infectious, and she is always eager to share her creations with friends and family.