Recipe for Classic Homemade Lasagna with Tomato Sauce
Everyone loves lasagna, but what if I told you that making the perfect tomato sauce for your lasagna could be as easy as 1-2-3? Believe it or not, this recipe is so simple and delicious that it will make all of your friends think twice about their traditional favorite recipes!
Have you ever had one of those days when nothing seems to go right? Well, with this amazing lasagna tomato sauce recipe, even on those tough days you can still have a meal that tastes like something from a 5 star Italian restaurant. It’s incredibly easy to whip up in no time at all and requires only a few ingredients – just enough to give your homemade lasagna an extra special touch.
So put down your cookbook and get ready to create the best version of everyone’s favorite dish: classic Italian Lasagna! With this foolproof recipe, you’ll be able to impress family and friends alike by creating a savory masterpiece without breaking the bank. Trust me – once they taste your tomato sauce on top of your homemade lasagna noodles, they won’t be able to stop raving about how good it tastes!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This delicious lasagna recipe has been the go-to meal for generations of Italian families. It’s no surprise then that over 75% of us have tried it at least once in our lifetime! That’s why you’ll love this classic and comforting recipe – it can bring everyone together, just like family dinners should.
To start this dish off right, begin by sautéing garlic cloves with olive oil until fragrant before adding tomato paste to the mix. Then comes a red sauce made from tomatoes, basil leaves and Italian seasoning. Simmer everything together until thickened and let it cool slightly before layering with ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on top of pre-cooked lasagna noodles. Once your ingredients are ready for assembly, layer away! Finish up with more Parmesan cheese on top before baking in an oven preheated to 375°F (190°C).
Your house will be filled with mouthwatering smells as the cheesy layers bake into a golden brown perfection. Serve hot straight out of the oven and enjoy every bite knowing you’ve created something special – all while bringing your family closer together around the dinner table.
If you’re looking for the best tomato sauce recipes, then this lasagna recipe will be your new favorite. Juxtaposed to other tomato sauce recipes, it’s a step above thanks to its unique ingredients and flavors. Plus, with just a few simple steps of preparation and cooking time, you can easily have an incredible Italian dinner on the table in no time!
Let’s get started by taking a look at the ingredient list for this classic lasagna dish. You’ll need: lean ground beef; ricotta mixture (ricotta cheese mixed with eggs); cottage cheese; black pepper; fresh herbs; Parmesan cheese; tomato puree or canned tomatoes; and, of course, plenty of mozzarella cheese for that creamy texture and amazing flavor.
Now that you’ve double-checked your ingredients and equipment against the recipe card, it’s time to start cooking! Let’s get ready, set, and go!
The Recipe How-To
The first step in creating this classic dish is to make a flavorful tomato sauce. You can use canned tomatoes or fresh tomatoes depending on what’s available and your preference. When using canned tomatoes, make sure that you cook them down until they reduce and thicken up nicely. If using fresh tomatoes, simmer them for about 30 minutes before adding in any other ingredients like garlic, oregano, basil, and salt and pepper.
Once you have your tomato sauce ready to go, it’s time to assemble the lasagna layers. Start by lightly coating the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray. Then begin layering the noodles followed by cheese, filling, and tomato sauce consecutively until everything has been used up – usually about three layers total. Cover the top of the pan with foil before baking at 375°F for 40-50 minutes or until everything is cooked through completely.
After taking it out of the oven let your lasagna cool for at least 10 minutes before serving up a delicious plate of homemade lasagna with tomato sauce! The smell alone is enough to make anyone’s mouth water – so dig in and enjoy!
Substitutions And Variations
They say variety is the spice of life, and that’s especially true when it comes to recipes. Lasagna is a classic dish with so many variations—from traditional lasagna to easy lasagna recipe ideas. Whether you use fresh tomatoes or homemade tomato sauce, there are plenty of ways to turn this classic Italian favorite into something new.
Let’s start with substitutions and variations for your lasagna tomato sauce recipe. If you don’t have time to make a homemade tomato sauce from scratch, try using store-bought marinara instead. You can also swap out the type of meat in your dish; replacing ground beef with sweet Italian sausage adds more flavor and texture to your lasagna! To lighten up the dish, replace some of the cheese with ricotta or cottage cheese. Finally, you could even switch up the noodles–whole wheat noodles work just as well as regular boiled lasagna noodles!
If you want an extra boost of flavor and nutrition, consider adding vegetables like mushrooms or spinach to the mix. Chopping them finely enough will let them blend right in with all that cheesy goodness without overwhelming your taste buds. And if you’re looking for a quick fix on a busy weeknight, grab a large skillet and cook everything together on medium-high heat until bubbly – no boiling necessary!
No matter what changes you make, tweaking traditional recipes can lead to delicious results – not only making cooking easier but giving us our own unique take on the classic recipe we know and love. Plus, experimenting with different ingredients means that each time you make lasagna it can be slightly different than before: you may end up creating one of the best lasagnas ever!
Storing And Freezing Suggestions
Storing and freezing lasagna tomato sauce is a great way to make sure you always have delicious Italian flavors on hand. Imagine not having to worry about running out of tomatoes for your weekly pasta night because you already have some pre-made! To get started, you’ll need an airtight container or plastic wrap, as well as a medium bowl, food processor, large saucepan, fresh parsley from the local grocery store, san marzano tomatoes, and a food mill.
With all these items in place, making your own tomato sauce couldn’t be easier. Start by heating up the oil in the large sauté pan before adding garlic and onions. Once they soften slightly add the chopped San Marzano Tomatoes with their liquid into the pot. Simmer it until everything gets nice and tender then use the food mill to strain away any unwanted pieces. Finally stir in freshly chopped parsley if desired.
The result? A flavorful homemade lasagna sauce that can be stored at room temperature or even frozen so you can enjoy it whenever! Just portion it out into individual servings if needed and either pop them into an airtight container or wrap each one tightly with plastic wrap. Then when ready just thaw overnight in the fridge before using – no fuss involved! This simple step will help ensure your sauces stay fresh tasting for months down the line.
Chef Chloe’s Tips
Tips are essential when making a classic lasagna recipe. If you’re looking for an easy way to make your family’s favorite dish, then these tips can help enhance the flavor and cooking process.
- To add a lot of flavor to your lasagna, use a whole garlic clove when making the tomato sauce and don’t forget to add it to the meat mixture as well.
- To prevent the lasagna noodles from sticking to the bottom of the pan, make sure to spread a layer of meat sauce at the bottom before adding the lasagna noodles.
- To make the lasagna extra flavorful, try adding a teaspoon of brown sugar to the meat mixture.
- To make sure the lasagna doesn’t dry out, add a cup of hot water to the meat mixture.
- To make the lasagna more cheesy, add a cup of grated parmesan cheese to the cheese mixture.
- To make a creamier lasagna, try adding a layer of bechamel sauce between the layers of meat and cheese.
- To make a lighter lasagna, use thin layers of noodles and cheese.
These helpful tips will ensure your lasagna turns out just right each time you make it! Plus they’ll save you from having burnt edges or dried-out noodles every time you attempt to recreate your family recipe. So go ahead – experiment with different combinations and flavors while keeping these key points in mind – baking dish size, red pepper flakes, medium heat setting – so you can create delicious meals again and again!
Now that you have all the tips to make the best lasagna recipe, let’s dive into some fun facts about this delicious dish:
- Garlic has been used in cooking for over 7,000 years and is believed to have originated in Central Asia.
- The origin of lasagna can be traced back to the ancient Greeks and Romans, who used to make a dish called “laganon” which was similar to lasagna.
- The word “lasagna” comes from the Greek word “laganon” which means “chamber pot” because the ancient Greeks and Romans used to cook their dish in a pot that was shaped like a chamber pot.
- The first lasagna recipe was written in the 14th century by a chef named Martino da Como.
- Lasagna is considered a comfort food in many cultures, and it’s a popular dish in Italy, where it’s often served on special occasions such as weddings and holidays.
- To make a delicious homemade marinara sauce, use the best quality tomatoes you can find, and for the best results, try San Marzano tomatoes.
- If you’re running out of time, you can use store-bought marinara sauce or meat sauce to make an easy homemade lasagna.
- Lasagna can be baked, but also can be cooked in a slow cooker, which requires extra time but the result is just as delicious.
- If you’re having a hard time boiling lasagna noodles, add a pinch of salt to the water, and make sure the water is at a rolling boil before adding the noodles.
I’m sure you’re already imagining how delicious this lasagna tomato sauce recipe will be! Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also incredibly versatile. You can make substitutions and variations if needed, store the leftovers for later or even freeze them for an easy meal down the line. With all these helpful tips in mind, I’m sure that your homemade lasagna tomato sauce will be a hit like a symphony of flavors in everyone’s mouth.
The combination of tomatoes with garlic and herbs gives this dish a complexity and warmth that will fill up any kitchen with its aroma. It’s truly something special—it’s like having summer on a plate! The ingredients come together perfectly to create a rich flavor that won’t disappoint anyone who takes one bite. You’ll love how simple yet flavorful this recipe is; each spoonful has the potential to transport you back home.
Making dishes from scratch can seem intimidating at first, but once you give this lasagna tomato sauce recipe a try, you’ll see just how straightforward it really is! And no matter what variation you choose to go with, I guarantee your family will enjoy every single bite. So don’t hesitate: roll up your sleeves and get cooking today!
Lasagna With Tomato Sauce Recipe
- Large skillet
- Medium saucepan
- Food processor or food mill
- Large baking dish
- Aluminum foil
- Airtight container
- Medium bowl
- Plastic wrap
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1 diced onion
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 can 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 can 28 oz of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 12 lasagna noodles cooked according to package instructions
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, green bell peppers, onion and garlic, and cook until the beef is browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, sugar, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, and 1 tablespoon of chopped basil.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Spread a small amount of the meat sauce in the bottom of the dish. Place 3 lasagna noodles on top. Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the noodles, then 1/3 of the meat sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese over the top. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Let the lasagna cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh basil and parsley.
- For best results, use high-quality crushed tomatoes, such as San Marzano tomatoes, for the tomato sauce.
- Feel free to experiment with different types of meats in the filling, such as sweet or spicy Italian sausage.
- Fresh herbs, such as basil and parsley, can be substituted for dried herbs if desired.
- For a more flavorful meat sauce, let it simmer for a longer time
You can make the sauce ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- You can use a food mill or food processor instead of crush tomatoes for a smoother sauce.
- This recipe can be cooked in slow cooker as well, cooking time may vary.
You can use spinach lasagna noodles for a healthier version.
- Serve with Italian salad and garlic bread.
- YUou can use lasagna sheets instead of cooked lasagna noodles.
Your Own Notes
Chloe is passionate about creating unique dishes that draw on the flavors of her favorite cultures. She loves experimenting with new ingredients and pushing the boundaries of traditional recipes. Her enthusiasm for cooking is infectious, and she is always eager to share her creations with friends and family.