Easy Lasagna with Cottage Cheese Recipe (From Scratch!)
Are you ready to tantalize your taste buds? To add some innovation in your cooking routine? To prepare a dish that’s perfect for any family meal? Then look no further than this delicious lasagna with cottage cheese recipe! Its unique combination of flavors and textures will leave everyone asking for more.
This lasagna recipe is easy to follow and requires just a few simple ingredients. The result is a savory, creamy dish that will satisfy even the pickiest eaters. Plus, it’s packed with protein and nutrients, making it a great way to get more veggies into your diet.
So what are you waiting for? Get ready to wow your family and friends with this delectable lasagna with cottage cheese recipe. With its rich flavors and creamy texture, it’s sure to become a favorite in no time!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This is a dish that’s sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. Not only does it have a delicious combination of cheeses, but it also has an amazing texture that will leave your mouth watering.
For this recipe, you’ll need to use a few different types of cheese. Ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan are all essential for creating the perfect cheese mixture. To give it an extra flavor boost, you can also use some fresh cheese like feta or goat cheese. Once these cheeses have been combined with a cottage cheese mixture, you’ll be ready to assemble your lasagna.
Layering noodles alternately with the cottage cheese and shredded mozzarella gives this lasagna its classic look and taste. Then just bake until golden brown and bubbly – heaven! The result? A delectable combination of flavors that will melt in your mouth. It’s sure to be a hit at any dinner table!
You might be wondering why on earth anyone would make lasagna with cottage cheese, but that’s exactly why you’ll love this recipe. This ingredient list is the key to unlocking a delicious and innovative dinner experience.
Lean ground beef, cottage cheese, a teaspoon of salt, black pepper, frozen lasagna noodles, grated parmesan cheese, a cup of sauce, kosher salt and shredded cheeses are all essential for achieving the perfect texture and flavor. And let’s not forget the fresh spinach – it adds a subtle yet delightful hint of green!
This hearty dish will satisfy even the pickiest eaters – so don’t be afraid to get creative with your lasagna-making! With these ingredients at your disposal, you’re sure to end up with an amazing dish that will have everyone asking for seconds.
The Recipe How-To
- Boil lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- In a skillet, cook ground beef until browned in color and drain any excess fat.
- Mix together tomato paste, tomato sauce, and ground beef in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Create the layers of your lasagna by adding a layer of noodles, followed by the beef mixture, then layer of cheese and finally top it off with cottage cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until cheese melts and bubbles around the edges.
This recipe with cottage cheese is sure to become an instant family favorite! Serve up hot with a side salad for the perfect meal that will leave your taste buds tantalized!
Substitutions And Variations
Lasagna is the perfect dish to represent innovation. It’s a simple yet creative dish that can be made with any ingredients you have in your pantry. When it comes to making lasagna with cottage cheese, the possibilities are endless! From using marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, swiss cheese, fontina cheese, kraft parmesan cheese and low fat cheese to creating a meatless cottage cheese lasagna and using pre shredded cheese instead of ready noodles – there’s no limit to what you can do!
Let your imagination take over and create your own delicious twist on the classic lasagna with cottage cheese recipe. Whether you go traditional or opt for something more unique, this dish is sure to please everyone at the table. Try adding vegetables like spinach or mushrooms for some added nutrition and an extra layer of flavor. Don’t forget about herbs and spices too! With these simple adjustments, you can transform a basic lasagna into something truly special.
Serving And Pairing Suggestions
Delicious Italian lasagna is a family favorite that you can easily recreate at home. This traditional Italian dish can be served as-is or you can add an extra kick to it by pairing it with different types of cheeses such as skim mozzarella or cream cheese. By using quality ingredients, this classic dish will have your taste buds jumping for joy!
For the ultimate lasagna experience, layer cooked lasagna noodles with a savory beef tomato sauce filled with herbs like oregano and basil and alternate the layers with generous amounts of shredded cheese. Finish the dish off by topping it all with fresh parmesan for an added depth of flavor. When done properly, you’ll end up with a delicious, cheesy lasagna that melts in your mouth.
Serve this comforting dish alongside a fresh salad or steamed vegetables for an extra healthy meal. With its rich flavor and cheesy texture, this lasagna recipe is sure to become one of your go-to dishes! Whether you’re looking to enjoy something special during family dinners or plan ahead for your next weekend cooking project, this classic Italian meal won’t let you down. Bon Appetit!
Chef Chloe’s Tips
When it comes to making a hearty lasagna recipe, there’s no need for guesswork. With this tips section, you’ll have all the information you need to make a delicious homemade lasagna that gets rave reviews.
- Soften the lasagna noodles by soaking them in cold water for 10-15 minutes before cooking. This will prevent them from breaking when boiling or layering them in the baking dish.
- Drain the excess fat from the ground beef or Italian sausage to reduce the calorie content and prevent a greasy final dish.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) before baking to ensure that the lasagna cooks evenly and thoroughly.
- Use a large skillet over medium-high heat to cook the ground beef or sausage, and use a wooden spoon to break it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- To prevent the cheese mixture from becoming too runny, mix in a food processor or with a hand mixer until it is smooth and well combined.
- Place a layer of sauce on the bottom of the baking dish to prevent the noodles from sticking and becoming mushy.
- Reserve a cup of sauce to spread on top of the lasagna before baking for added moisture and flavor.
- Make sure to cover the baking dish with aluminum foil or tin foil for the first 35-40 minutes of baking to prevent the cheese from drying out and to help it cook evenly.
- Let the lasagna cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing to prevent it from falling apart.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days for easy meal prep for the next day. Reheat individual servings in the microwave for a quick and convenient meal.
With these simple tips, you’ll be able to make a mouth-watering lasagna that will have everyone asking for seconds! So go ahead and give it a try – you won’t regret it!
Storing And Freezing Options
Ah, the joys of having a lasagna with cottage cheese recipe in your freezer. It’s an age-old classic that never goes out of style. But if you’re looking for something new and innovative, then you’ve come to the right place! Let’s explore some top tips for storing and freezing this delicious dish:
- Use plastic wrap or food wrap to seal up any pieces that you plan on putting in the freezer. The key is to keep it sealed tight so no air can get in and spoil your meal prep.
- Make sure to use freezer safe bags when putting pieces into the freezer. That way, you can easily store them for a few weeks without worrying about them going bad!
- Don’t forget to use warm water when prepping your lasagna with cottage cheese recipe – this will help ensure all ingredients are cooked thoroughly.
- Finally, why not make a week meal plan and always have a homecooked meal or fresh salad ready? This way, you’ll never be stuck reaching for processed foods again!
These are just some of the best ways to store and freeze your lasagna with cottage cheese recipe – so go ahead and give it a try today! With a little bit of preparation, you’ll soon be enjoying delicious meals at home every day.
Frequently Asked Questions
Looking for answers to common questions about making lasagna with cottage cheese? Check out the frequently asked questions section below for helpful tips and information.
Is lasagna better with ricotta or cottage cheese?
The use of ricotta or cottage cheese in lasagna is a matter of personal preference. Both cheeses have a creamy texture that adds richness to the dish, but ricotta is the more traditional choice. Cottage cheese provides a similar texture but with a tangier flavor, so it’s best to try both and see which one you prefer.
Can I use cottage cheese instead of ricotta in lasagna?
Yes, you can use cottage cheese instead of ricotta in lasagna. It provides a similar creamy texture and tangy flavor, but with a lower fat content. Some people prefer to use a mixture of ricotta and cottage cheese to achieve a balance of flavor and texture.
What is the correct order to layer lasagna?
The general order to layer lasagna is to start with a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish, followed by a layer of lasagna noodles, a layer of cheese mixture, and a layer of meat sauce. Repeat these layers until you reach the top of the dish, making sure to end with a layer of sauce and a layer of mozzarella cheese.
Do Italians use cottage cheese in lasagne?
No, traditional Italian lasagne recipes typically use ricotta cheese, not cottage cheese. However, some Italian-American recipes may incorporate cottage cheese into the dish for a creamier texture and tangier flavor.
How many layers of lasagna is best?
Typically, 3-4 layers of lasagna is considered best for a balance of ingredients and an optimal cooking time. However, the number of layers can vary depending on personal preference and the size of your baking dish.
Should you cover lasagna when baking?
Yes, it is recommended to cover lasagna with aluminum foil or tin foil during the first 35-40 minutes of baking to prevent the cheese from drying out and to help it cook evenly. This will also allow the lasagna to steam and become tender. Once the cheese is melted and bubbly, you can remove the foil for the final 5-10 minutes of baking to brown the cheese on top.
I’m sure you’ll love this lasagna with cottage cheese recipe. It’s easy to make, packed with flavor, and so versatile! Plus, there are plenty of options for making substitutions and variations so you can customize it to fit your tastes. Now that you know the basics, it’s time to give it a try!
Preparing this dish is simple yet satisfying. From gathering the ingredients to creating layers of cheesy deliciousness, the process of making this lasagna is a pleasure. Plus, the end result is sure to leave your guests swooning over your culinary prowess!
So what are you waiting for? Get out your ingredients and start cooking up a scrumptious lasagna with cottage cheese. You won’t regret it – it’s sure to become a regular request in your home kitchen!
Lasagna with Cottage Cheese Recipe
- Large skillet
- Food processor (optional)
- Large pot for boiling lasagna noodles
- 9×13 inch baking dish or casserole dish
- Aluminum foil or tin foil
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage spicy or mild, depending on preference
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 bell peppers diced (optional)
- 2 cups of marinara sauce or spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or basil
- 1 pound lasagna noodles cooked al dente and cooled
- 2 cups whole milk cottage cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish or casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the ground beef, Italian sausage, onion, garlic, and bell peppers (if using). Cook until the meat is browned and the vegetables are softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- In a food processor or using a fork, combine the cottage cheese, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup chopped parsley or basil, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the marinara sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning. Stir until well combined.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread a thin layer of the sauce mixture on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Place a layer of cooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce, followed by a layer of the cottage cheese mixture and a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers of sauce, noodles, cottage cheese mixture, and mozzarella cheese until you reach the top of the dish. Be sure to end with a layer of sauce and mozzarella cheese on top.
- Cover the lasagna with aluminum foil or tin foil, and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Let the lasagna cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- This recipe can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator or freezer for later. Simply assemble the lasagna as directed and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight if frozen and bake as directed.
- Feel free to add cooked veggies like zucchini, spinach, or eggplant to the layers for added nutrition.
- For a lower fat version, use lower fat cottage cheese and ground beef.
- This recipe is also delicious with a cup of grated Parmesan cheese mixed into the sauce mixture or sprinkled on top of the lasagna before baking.
- You can also use your favorite type of pasta sauce in place of the mar
Your Own Notes
by Chef Chloe
Chloe is passionate about creating unique dishes that draw on the flavors of her favorite cultures. She loves experimenting with new ingredients and pushing the boundaries of traditional recipes. Her enthusiasm for cooking is infectious, and she is always eager to share her creations with friends and family.