As someone who follows a keto diet, I know how challenging it can be to find recipes that are both delicious and low-carb. That’s why I’m excited to share my recipe for Keto Brothy Chicken with Bok Choy and Ginger with you today. This dish is not only full of flavor, but it’s also incredibly nourishing and satisfying.
When I set out to create this recipe, I knew that I wanted to use high-quality ingredients that would provide plenty of nutrients without adding unnecessary carbs. That’s why I chose chicken as the protein source – it’s lean, versatile, and packed with essential vitamins and minerals. In addition, I added lots of veggies like bok choy and shiitake mushrooms, which are both low in carbs and high in antioxidants.
But what really takes this recipe to the next level is the ginger root. Not only does ginger add a spicy kick to the broth, but it also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce joint pain and soothe digestive issues. By incorporating ginger into your meals regularly, you may notice an improvement in your overall health and well-being.
But enough talk – let’s get cooking! Whether you’re looking for a cozy dinner on a chilly evening or a nourishing lunch to power you through your day, this Keto Brothy Chicken with Bok Choy and Ginger is sure to hit the spot. So grab your ingredients and let’s make some magic happen!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
As my culinary journey has taken me across numerous cuisines, I have developed a deep appreciation for minimalist recipes that bring out the natural flavors of the ingredients. That’s why I am confident that you will love this keto brothy chicken with bok choy and ginger recipe that I have crafted.
It offers everything that you could want in a heartwarming, comfort meal: succulent chicken, umami-rich shitake mushrooms, crisp greens from bok choy, and a soothing ginger broth that envelopes the senses. The soup is perfect for anyone who wishes to enjoy a low-carb meal without compromising on flavor or nutrition.
The bok choy and ginger add a definite Asian flair to the dish, while the chicken ensures that it can be enjoyed all year round. A seasoned chef will tell you that less is often more. This recipe embodies precisely that philosophy in droves.
The addition of bacon fat elevates the broth’s richness, while soy sauce adds another layer of depth. Whether it is for an Asian-inspired dinner party or an intimate solo meal on a chilly evening, this recipe ticks all the boxes. So go ahead and give it a try. Trust me; you won’t regret it.
Ingredients for Keto Brothy Chicken with Bok Choy and Ginger Recipe
Here are the ingredients needed to make this delightful dish:
- 4-6 chicken thighs
- 4-6 chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat or oil of choice
- 1-inch piece of gingerroot, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 cups water or homemade chicken broth
- 3 cups bok choy, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Feel free to scale this recipe up or down as needed, depending on how many servings you want or how hungry you are!
The Recipe How-To
Now that we’ve gotten all of our ingredients prepared, it’s time to dive into the recipe itself. Don’t worry, it’s simpler than you think!
Step 1: Sautéing the Chicken
In a large pot, heat up 1 tablespoon of bacon fat over medium-high heat. Add 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and cook until browned on both sides. Once done this will give your soup an added depth of flavor.
Step 2: Adding Aromatics and Vegetables
Add 2 tablespoons of finely chopped gingerroot, 3 stalks scallions, and 1 small jalapeño pepper; cook for a couple of minutes to release aromatics with stirring.
Then add the cleaned 1 cup of dried shiitake mushrooms along with 2 cups of sliced baby bok choy. Stir fry for a couple of more minutes adding in ones desired protein.
Step 3: Boiling it all together
Pour in 6 cups of homemade chicken bone broth or store brought organic chicken broth, ¼ cup soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of turmeric, sprinkle some bonny red sweet paprika over the top if desired.
Bring the saucepan to a boil then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer until the vegetables are cooked and tender.
The Keto Brothy Chicken recipe is perfect for those who wants a healthy and fulfilling soup that’s gluten-free, low carb and keto diet friendly. By following these simple yet flavourful steps you will have an Asian inspired chicken soup that will knock everyone’s socks off!
Substitutions and Variations
This recipe for Keto Brothy Chicken With Bok Choy and Ginger Recipe is a versatile dish that can be adapted in many ways to suit your personal taste preferences or dietary restrictions. Here are some substitutions and variations you can try:
– Vegetarian/Vegan: To make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, substitute the chicken with tofu, tempeh, or seitan. You can also use homemade vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
– Different protein: If you’re not a fan of chicken, you can use shrimp, beef, pork, or even poached chicken breast.
– Mixed vegetables: While the recipe calls for bok choy and shiitake mushrooms, you can easily swap these out for other veggies like broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, or snow peas. Just make sure to adjust cooking times accordingly.
– Use bone broth: Replace the chicken broth with bone broth for a nutrient-packed twist on this already healthy soup.
– Spicier version: If you love spicy food, add diced red pepper flakes when sautéing your ginger and onion or add extra jalapeño to the soup.
– Low-Sodium option: For those managing their salt intake, opt for low-sodium soy sauce or completely eliminate the soy sauce from the recipe.
– Noodle addition: If you want to add noodles to this soup for a more traditional feel, cook up some rice noodles separately and serve on top of each bowl.
Remember that these substitutes and alternatives will affect the overall flavor profile of the dish. Experiment with different variations to find which one suits you best!
Serving and Pairing
Once you’ve made this delicious and easy Keto Brothy Chicken with Bok Choy and Ginger recipe, you’ll need to know how to serve it up for optimal enjoyment. Here are my recommendations:
This light and brothy chicken soup is perfect for a cold winter day when you want something that warms your insides without being too heavy. Top with some thinly sliced scallions and fresh cilantro for a pop of color and flavor.
If you’re looking to create a more substantial meal, pair this soup with some roasted veggies on the side or serve over zucchini noodles for a low-carb option.
For those who enjoy noodles, rice noodles or shirataki noodles can be added to the soup for a satisfying bowl of Keto Ramen. It’s an Asian-inspired chicken noodle soup that will hit the spot.
If you’re not on the keto diet, then serve this pipping hot soup over jasmine rice with a squeeze of lemon juice for extra zestiness.
In terms of pairing, this dish will go well with white wines such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc that have notes of herbs and citrus flavors. For beer lovers, light beers such as Pilsners and blonde ales complement this dish nicely.
With its wonderful balance of flavors, this brothy chicken bok choy soup will leave your taste buds satisfied and your body nourished. Enjoy!
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
One of the great things about this keto brothy chicken with bok choy and ginger recipe is that it can easily be made ahead and stored for later. To make things easier, once the dish has cooled, portion them into individual containers and store them in the refrigerator for up to three days. This makes it perfect for meal prep during the week or for a quick dinner on a busy night.
If you want to store the dish for longer than three days, simply store it in the freezer instead. The dish can last in the freezer for up to three months. Once you’re ready to reheat, let it defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat over low heat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
When reheating, adding a bit of extra broth or water will help keep the chicken moist and prevent it from drying out. This will also help bring back some of the flavors that may have faded during storage.
Tips for Perfect Results
Creating the perfect brothy chicken soup with bok choy and ginger can be a bit tricky, but with these tips, you’ll achieve a delicious and satisfying result every time. Here are some recommendations for making sure your soup turns out perfectly:
First and foremost, for the best flavor, use homemade chicken broth if possible. If that’s not an option, choose a high-quality store-bought option that is low in sodium.
Be sure to use fresh gingerroot as it provides the most potent ginger flavor. You can also adjust the amount of ginger based on your personal preference.
When cooking the chicken thighs or wings, make sure they’re cooked through and tender before adding them to the soup. You can sous vide the chicken beforehand for added moisture and depth of flavor.
When stir-frying the bok choy and shiitake mushrooms, aim to keep them slightly crisp so that they retain their nutritional value as much as possible.
For a richer broth, add bacon fat or bone broth to the recipe. If you prefer a leaner option, use skinless chicken breasts instead of thighs or wings.
To add some heat to your soup, include a small jalapeno pepper seeded and minced. Add it towards the end to regulate just how spicy you want it.
Lastly, don’t forget to garnish with sliced scallions on top for an extra pop of flavor and color. These tips will make sure your brothy chicken soup is flavorful, nourishing, and comforting every time you make it!
In conclusion, this Keto Brothy Chicken with Bok Choy and Ginger Recipe is a must-try for anyone looking for a delicious and healthy meal. The combination of ginger, bok choy, and chicken creates a unique flavor profile that’s both satisfying and nutritious. Not to mention, it’s an excellent option for anyone following a low-carb or keto diet.
Whether you’re making this recipe as a quick weeknight dinner or serving it at your next dinner party, it’s sure to impress. And with the ability to make substitutions and variations based on your preferences, you can customize it to fit your taste buds perfectly.
So go ahead and give this recipe a try. Not only will you be nourishing your body with wholesome ingredients, but you’ll also be enjoying a meal that’s bursting with flavor. Bon appétit!
Keto Brothy Chicken With Bok Choy and Ginger Recipe
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 bone in skin on chicken thighs
- 4 chicken wings
- 6 cups water
- kombu seaweed, 1 4×4-inch piece, broken into 1 inch squares
- 8 small dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled, crushed
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar, unseasoned
- 9 ounces bok choy, white stem thinly sliced, greens torn
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, minced
- 1 inch turmeric, root peeled, grated
- 2 tablespoons scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced (1 large)
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, cut in matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hot chili oil
- In a stockpot or dutch oven, melt the bacon fat. Season the chicken thighs and wings with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken to the dutch oven, skin side down and cook over medium heat until skin is browned. Flip chicken pieces, and brown other side.
- Add 6 cups water, kombu, dried shiitake, smashed ginger, and rice vinegar to pan. Simmer until thighs are cooked to 165° F. Remove thighs from pan. Meanwhile prep other ingredients.
- When thighs are cool enough, separate meat from skin and bones. Return skin and bones to pan. Tear meat into bite size pieces.
- Simmer stock 20 minutes until flavorful. Strain and discard wings, kombu, dried shiitake, smashed ginger, bones, and skin. Season to taste with salt.
- Return chicken meat to pan. Add minced shiitake and white part of bok choy, simmer for 3 minutes. Add green part of bok choy and turmeric to pan, simmer 2 minutes.
- Serve, topping with ginger matchsticks, scallions, sesame and hot chili oil.
Your Own Notes
Recommended by Chef CHLOE
These recipes have been carefully chosen by me so you can be sure they are top-notch. Make sure to try them out and enjoy the delicious flavors that come with them. You won’t be disappointed!
Chloe is passionate about creating unique dishes that draw on the flavors of her favorite cultures. She loves experimenting with new ingredients and pushing the boundaries of traditional recipes. Her enthusiasm for cooking is infectious, and she is always eager to share her creations with friends and family.