Get ready for a taste of New Orleans in your own home with this delightful bananas foster bread pudding recipe! The warm, comforting flavors of brown sugar, rum, and sweet bananas come together in a sweet custard, topped with a decadent banana foster topping that will leave you feeling like royalty.
Inspired by the favorite dessert of none other than Princess Diana herself, this recipe adds a twist to classic bread pudding by incorporating the rich flavors of bananas foster. This dish is perfect for anyone looking to add some excitement to their usual dessert routine.
Whether you’re a seasoned dessert pro or just experimenting with new recipes, this bananas foster bread pudding recipe is sure to become a staple in your household. So break out your apron, grab your ingredients, and let’s get started on a culinary adventure unlike any other!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Listen up, foodies! I have a recipe that’s worth ditching your diet for. You’ll fall in love with this delightful Bananas Foster Bread Pudding recipe and you won’t be able to resist the temptation to indulge.
Why will you love this recipe, you ask? First off, it’s an exciting twist on the classic bread pudding. This New Orleans-inspired dessert puts a flavorful spin on the traditional bread pudding by infusing it with luscious bananas foster flavors. Imagine sweet, ripe bananas baked into a warm and sweet custard and caramelized with brown sugar – sounds heavenly, doesn’t it?
But wait, there’s more! This recipe is incredibly versatile. Whether you’re serving it at a brunch party or a fancy dinner, it’s sure to impress your guests. You can even make a vegan version of this recipe using almond milk and vegan butter.
And let’s talk about the sauce! Not only do we have a luscious vanilla rum sauce, but we also top this deliciously sweet dessert with sliced bananas topped with sugar and molten caramel sauce. It really takes the dish to the next level!
So if you’re looking for something that’ll have your taste buds doing somersaults, try out this Banana Foster Bread Pudding Recipe. Who knows, you might even fall back in time reminiscing about Princess Diana’s favorite dessert.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this Delightful Bananas Foster Bread Pudding recipe:
For the Bread Pudding:
- 12 ounces of brioche or challah bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups of bread cubes)
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 3 cups of heavy cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 and ½ cups of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. of banana liqueur (such as DeKuyper)
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
For the Bananas Foster Topping:
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
For the Rum Sauce:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. dark rum
Keep in mind that these are the original ingredients listed in this recipe, but you can always substitute some components based on your preferences and dietary restrictions.
The Recipe How-To
Now we get into what you’ve been waiting for: the details of how to create this delightful Bananas Foster Bread Pudding recipe. Follow my step-by-step guide below and you’ll have a sweet and satisfying dessert in no time.
Firstly, let’s gather all the ingredients that we need:
- 12 ounces brioche or challah bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dark rum
- ¼ cup banana liqueur
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 4 ripe bananas, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, heavy cream, granulated sugar, eggs, egg yolks, vanilla extract, rum, banana liqueur, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Melt 1/4 cup of the butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the sliced bananas and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and continue cooking until caramelized, about another minute or two.
- Butter a deep-dish, 9×13-inch baking dish with remaining butter.
- Place half of the bread cubes evenly in the dish then pour half of the banana foster mixture over bread cubes.
- Repeat steps seven and eight until you have used up all the bread cubes and banana foster mixture; press down lightly to ensure all parts of bread are moistened by mixture.
- Bake until golden brown on top and set in the middle, about an hour.
Once done, let it cool for a bit before serving it with some whipped cream, ice cream or caramel sauce for a smooth garnish.
And there you have it! A delectable dessert that’s perfect for a cozy night at home or for any dinner party!
Stay tuned for more recipes coming your way!
Substitutions and Variations
When it comes to adapting a recipe, you can either play it safe or take some risks – it all depends on your personal taste and preferences. Here are some substitutions and variations for the Delightful Bananas Foster Bread Pudding Recipe that are worth exploring.
– Croissant bread: If you don’t have brioche bread or challah bread on hand, don’t fret. You can easily substitute them with croissants for an even flakier texture. I recommend using 12 ounces of frozen croissants, thawed, and cut into 1-inch cubes.
– Vegan twist: To make this recipe vegan-friendly, swap out the dairy milk and heavy cream for plant-based alternatives such as almond milk and coconut cream. You can also use vegan brioche or plain white bread, as well as a vegan egg replacer or mashed banana to bind the pudding mixture. For the topping, skip the butter and opt for coconut oil instead.
– Boozy boost: If you’re feeling adventurous or want to give this recipe extra oomph, substitute dark rum with bourbon or whisky for a smoky flavor. You can also spike the rum sauce with a tablespoon of banana liqueur or amaretto for a more complex taste. Just remember that too much alcohol can overpower the other flavors, so use your judgment.
– Fruity flair: While bananas foster is undoubtedly the star of this recipe, you can add other fruits to liven things up. Try mixing chopped dried apricots or raisins into the pudding mixture for some chewiness or layer sliced strawberries on top of the bread cubes before pouring in the custard. You can also sprinkle some cinnamon or nutmeg over the fruit for warmth.
– Caramel goodness: To take this dessert to another level of decadence, drizzle caramel sauce over each serving of bread pudding along with the rum sauce. You can make your own using brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, and vanilla extract by melting them together over low heat until smooth. Just be careful not to burn it!
Remember that these are just suggestions – feel free to experiment with your own ingredients and techniques. As long as you follow the basic rules of making bread pudding (covering the cubed bread with custard and baking it until set), you’re likely to end up with something deliciously satisfying.
Serving and Pairing
When it comes to serving and pairing this delightful Bananas Foster Bread Pudding, the possibilities are endless. The warm custardy bread pudding infused with the luscious flavors of brown sugar, vanilla extract, bananas foster, and dark rum pairs perfectly with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. It’s the ultimate comfort dessert that will satisfy your sweet cravings.
For those looking for something more sophisticated, pair it with a glass of dessert wine such as Sauternes or Muscat. The sweetness in these wines complements the bread pudding without overpowering its flavors.
If you are hosting a dinner party, elevate the presentation by creating individual servings of the bread pudding in ramekins. Drizzle the top with the rich caramel sauce and garnish with sliced bananas to create a show-stopping dessert that will leave your guests impressed.
And if you are looking for a vegan option or want to switch up the pairing, try topping the bread pudding with a dollop of vegan whipped cream or coconut whipped cream. These non-dairy alternatives pair well with the rum sauce and accentuate the flavors of the dish.
No matter how you choose to serve it, this Bananas Foster Bread Pudding is guaranteed to bring out smiles and happy tummies.
Make-Ahead, Storing and Reheating
Let’s face it: sometimes we don’t have the time or energy to cook a fresh meal every day. That doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice the quality of your food. With this Delightful Bananas Foster Bread Pudding Recipe, you can make ahead and store for those busy days.
To make ahead, simply follow the recipe instructions as usual until just before baking. Cover the prepared pudding tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours in advance. When you’re ready to bake, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes while preheating your oven.
Storing the bread pudding is a breeze with this recipe — just cover any leftovers tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to five days. To reheat, simply place a serving-size slice on a microwave-safe dish and heat it up for about 30 seconds. Or, if you’re feeling fancy, heat a small slice in the oven at 350°F for about 5-10 minutes until warmed through.
If you’re looking to impress guests with a dessert that has been tried and true with great taste, try reheating the leftover pudding in a water bath: place your individual servings or full size dish in an oven-safe pan with some water that comes halfway up the side of it. Cover with foil and bake for about 10-15 minutes until warmed through.
Whether you’re feeding yourself or entertaining others, this Delightful Bananas Foster Bread Pudding Recipe will be a hit no matter when it’s served!
Tips for Perfect Results
Bananas Foster Bread Pudding is a magnificent dessert that takes some care to perfect. Here are a few tips and tricks that will make sure your bread pudding comes out perfectly every time.
Firstly, I suggest using stale bread for the best texture. Dry bread will soak up the custard mixture more effectively, resulting in a pudding with an even texture. Using fresh bread can lead to a soggy final product, so be sure to use bread that is at least a day old.
Secondly, make sure you completely cover the bread with the custard mixture. This will ensure that each piece of bread is infused with the flavors of the vanilla extract, brown sugar, and milk.
For added flavor, try soaking raisins in dark rum before adding them to the mixture. The raisins will absorb the rum and when baked, will lend an extra boozy flavor to the pudding.
When placing your assembled pudding into the oven, I recommend using a water bath by placing your baking dish in another larger baking dish filled halfway up with hot water. This will keep your pudding moist as it bakes and prevent any issues with dryness.
Before removing it from the oven, give it a quick test by gently shaking the pan. If there is no jiggle in the center and it looks set around the edges, then it’s ready to come out.
Lastly, let your Banana Foster Bread Pudding cool down for 10-15 minutes before slicing or serving. This will allow for the sweet custard to set perfectly and make slicing easier.
Following these tips ensures that you’ll make an irresistible Bananas Foster Bread Pudding that everyone will be asking for seconds!
Now that we have covered all aspects of this delightful Bananas Foster Bread Pudding Recipe let’s review some frequently asked questions to ensure a perfect outcome. In this section, we’ll address some common concerns and provide you with tips and tricks to make the process go smoothly. Whether you are an experienced baker or trying out this recipe for the very first time, we’ve got you covered!
What was Princess Diana’s favorite dessert?
Indulge in a regal dessert that was beloved by none other than Princess Diana herself. This sweet treat is a delightful fusion of bread pudding and creme brûlée that is fit for royalty.
How do you make Paula Deen’s bread pudding?
To make a mouth-watering Italian bread pudding, you’ll need 3 cups of granulated sugar, divided into two portions. You’ll also need five large eggs, beaten well, and two cups of milk. To add a delicious vanilla flavor, use four teaspoons of vanilla extract, divided into two portions.
Next, you’ll need to cut the Italian bread into small cubes and let it become stale overnight in a bowl. For the sauce, you’ll need one cup of packed light brown sugar, half a cup of melted butter, and a quarter cup of softened butter. To add a crunchy texture, include one cup of chopped pecans in your recipe.
What can you substitute for rum in bananas Foster?
In this recipe article, we will be discussing some ingredients that can be used to add a kick of flavor to our dishes. These ingredients include rum extract, bourbon, dark cachaca, brandy, and juices like grape, pineapple, and apple which can be used as non-alcoholic substitutes.
How does Martha Stewart make bread pudding?
To start, prepare a baking dish by softening two tablespoons of unsalted butter in it. Then, you’ll need 12 ounces of either brioche or challah bread, sliced into 1-inch cubes. In a separate bowl, mix together two cups of milk and three cups of heavy cream. In another bowl, whisk together four large eggs, one additional large egg yolk, one cup of sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir in one tablespoon of pure vanilla extract.
Alright, my dear readers, it is time to indulge in a truly delightful dessert experience with this Bananas Foster Bread Pudding recipe. With its creamy custard base and rich, rum-infused bananas foster topping, this dish promises to be an absolute show-stopper for your family and friends.
Whether you are a lover of traditional bread pudding or are looking to try something new and exciting, this recipe is guaranteed to leave a lasting impression on your taste buds. The marriage of flavors between the sweet brioche or croissant bread and the bananas foster topping will transport you straight to the streets of New Orleans.
So don’t wait another minute, gather all the necessary ingredients including bananas, dark rum, brown sugar, and butter, and get started on creating this scrumptious dessert.
And if you’re wondering about substitutions or variations, fear not for I have included a comprehensive list in the article. You can also pair it with some vegan ice cream or caramel sauce to take this dessert to the next level.
Trust me when I say that your guests will thank you for making such a mouth-watering masterpiece. So go ahead and channel your inner Princess Diana’s love for bread pudding by whipping up this Bananas Foster Bread Pudding recipe today!
Delightful Bananas Foster Bread Pudding Recipe
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 tablespoon banana extract
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups stale French bread cubes
Bread Pudding Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon banana extract
- 2 bananas, sliced
- Stir together first 6 ingredients for pudding in large bowl.
- Heat milk and butter in large saucepan over medium-high heat until melted, stirring constantly (do not boil).
- Stir about one-fourth of hot milk mixture gradually into egg mixture, add to remaining hot milk mixture, stirring constantly.
- Place bread cubes in a highly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over bread; press bread to absorb mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let stand 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with Bread Pudding Sauce:.
- Combine butter, brown sugar, and remaining ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes (do not boil). Remove from heat.
Your Own Notes
Recommended by Chef CHLOE
These recipes have been carefully chosen by me so you can be sure they are top-notch. Make sure to try them out and enjoy the delicious flavors that come with them. You won’t be disappointed!
Chloe is passionate about creating unique dishes that draw on the flavors of her favorite cultures. She loves experimenting with new ingredients and pushing the boundaries of traditional recipes. Her enthusiasm for cooking is infectious, and she is always eager to share her creations with friends and family.